Screamin cross the sky -

I'm thinking of building the Lanier Shrike 40?.

Anyone here try to fly this thing?

BTW, Lanier makes the manual available on the internet but they *charge* you for it - an anomoly in my experience.

A $4.95 charge will be billed to your credit card and

will allow access to booklet 98233.pdf for 24 hours...

What's your opinion of Lanier kits/support?

LeeH

Reply to
LeeH

Surley that's if you lose the one they send with kit? mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

Or if you want to read it before you buy :-) LeeH

Reply to
LeeH

I recently finished a Shrike 10 with a K&B 3.5cc rear exhaust. I've only put 2 flights on it, but so far, it's a blast. Very quick. If you want a cheap, easy to build, fast plane, go for it.

Reply to
C G

LeeH wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net:

OTOH, Great Planes allows you to download their instructions without cost.

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

Don't know about the Shrike 40, but the smaller version kit is a POS. Really STUPID design and construction methods for a one piece, delta wing plane. However, they fly great.

Dr.1

Reply to
Dr1

| BTW, Lanier makes the manual available on the internet but they *charge* | you for it - an anomoly in my experience. | | > A $4.95 charge will be billed to your credit card and | will allow access to booklet 98233.pdf for 24 hours...

Yuck! | What's your opinion of Lanier kits/support?

I've no personal experience, but I've heard good things about them.

However, charging to download a copy of the manual ... I don't like that all. I'd think better of Lanier if they didn't have the manual available online _at all_ than to charge to download it. (Yes, I am aware of the paradox of that statement -- but it's about perceptions anyways, which aren't always grounded in reality.)

Compare that to Magnum -- I received an old engine with no docs. I called up the manufacturer (or was it the vendor? I forget now), and they snail mailed me a copy of the documentation for free -- that's going above and beyond, if you ask me.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Until someone sees the manual it's hard to say about it, it might be they include plans to build it so for 4.95 you get a complete set of plans, and they charge just like a plan bought online...

Reply to
Gavin

Gavin wrote: ...

Let's ask the guys who have built one: Dr1 or CG - if you're still reading this, does the manual include the plans?

-LeeH

Reply to
LeeH

Let's ask the guys who have built one: Dr1 or CG - if you're still reading this, does the manual include the plans?

A few pictures. No plans, however.

Dr.1

Reply to
Dr1

I do not know what one gets for the $4.95 charge. I got my plans and manual where they belonged, in the box along with the wood. The instructions are almost worthless without the plans. I too think it's silly that they charge for downloading the manual, but I don't see it as an important enough issue to not buy the kit if it's something that interests me. There are many plane companies who do not allow downloads of their instruction books.

Reply to
C G

They sell the manual as a download as well as in the box. maybe that has plans, but I guess not.

Reply to
Gavin

Gavin wrote: ... I too think it's

Well, guys, Lanier is off the hook - I emailed their sales dept asking about the policy for charging for manual downloads and they wrote back offering to email whatever one I was interested in for free.

Good for you, Lanier -

LeeH

Reply to
LeeH

There's been an awful lot of BS back and forth about Lanier's policy regarding downloading of their manuals, but absolutely *not_one_iota* of information regarding the important question,... HOW WELL DOES THIS PLANE FLY?

I've been interested in it for a while, I really like the way it looks. If it flies half as good as it looks, I just may order one.

TomC

Reply to
Crabs

Mine (with plans) is currently somewhere in the atlantic, as it got sent surface from the US :(

Reply to
Gavin

Reply to
jim breeyear

I have seen one fly at one of the local fields powered by a Jett 40 engine. Sucker hauled ass! Much faster than the jets that were flying that day as near as I could tell.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I've got a Shrike 10 with a K&B 3.5 engine. It flies great. I did replace the balsa spars with hardwood and moved the firewall back a bit to compensate for the extra engine weight.

Reply to
C G

IMO replaceing the balsa spars with hardwood is not necessary in such a small model. Most this size have balsa spars and seem to take plenty of abuse.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

Maybe not, but there have been enough people who folded up the wings when they were built with balsa spars to make me decide to use hardwood. It's possible that the balsa ones failed due to abuse such as rough landings and excessive G's.

Reply to
C G