Re: Planes stored in garage?

Jay,

I've been storing models in an unheated garage here in Northern Michigan for years and years without any problems. Not sure if my garage ever gets to -10, but it gets colder than that outside most winters.

Cold won't hurt the electronics, but remove the battery packs and warm them before charging.

Have your tried winter flying with skis? Fingers get cold but it extends the short season and is lots of fun to boot.

Mike

Hi All, > > I just built some storage racks for my RC planes out in my unheated > attached garage, and was wondering if storing them out there will > cause me any long term problems. Up till now, I have been keeping my > planes in my heated basement, but I was running out of storage room > and needed to clear off my workbench so I might actually be able to > build a kit this winter. > > This being Minnesota, it often gets to -10F or colder in the garage in > the winter. Should I do anything to prep them for being out in the > cold? Will the cold be hard on the electronics of the receiver and > servos? What about the wood and covering? Is that anything to be > concerned about? > > And what about the reverse? Is there a need to be concerned about the > heat of the summer and its effects on the electronics and the > airframes? > > Thanks for your input. > > Regards, > > Jay > AKA "Treker" in Minnesota
Reply to
Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reassurance that my planes will be fine out in the cold of the unheated garage this winter.

To answer your question about winter flying on skis, yes, I have tried it here in Minnesota. I have been flying for 3 seasons now, and my first full calendar year I actually few every month. This year I only missed February, and that was because it was too WARM the day I went out to fly. It was just above freezing, about 34F if my memory serves me correctly, and the snow would just stick to my skies. The plane was then too heavy to take off. Now I have an electric that I can hand launch in a pinch so I can maintain my "all season flyer" status. Kind of seems like cheating, but sometimes beggars can't be choosers.

Later,

Jay

Reply to
Jay Bickford

Hello Jay,

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Jay,

The main problem you may now encounter is rust on the bearings. The constant heating and cooling in an uncontrolled storage space aggravates the problem.

Other than that, youmay have to occasionally reshrink sagging covering in the summer. The covering may get brittle on the coldest days.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh