Re: Use of gyros in planes

Anyone have any experience using gyro units in rc planes. I've heard they

>can be used to auto correct for things like cross wind... Anyone try this? >Is it worth? Thanks ahead of time...

Either you heard wrong or were told wrong.

No such thing as a gyro that can detect cross-wind conditions.

The only thing a gyro does is to remember where it was going, and if something comes along to upset that path, the gyro changes it's output in an attempt to get back to the original path.

In this $0.25 version, "path" means the pre-existing steady-state condition in any of the three axes about the model (yaw, pitch, or roll).

If you use a rudder gyro, it will tend to correct for changes in heading. In a cross-wind, the gyro will try to maintain whatever heading it had prior to the gust of wind.

A rudder gyro doesn't know anything about the roll and pitch axes, and therein lies the rub : a rudder gyro will (try to) maintain a fixed heading and in doing so can induce a roll moment which will require manual intervention.

About the only real use of a gyro in a fixed-wing model is for rudder, and more importantly, as applied to conventional-gear models (tail draggers). A rudder gyro will aid in maintaining the runway heading during take off, and once set, the runway heading during landing.

Many flyers who have rudder gyros on their tail-draggers only use the things during take-off and landing, and switch them off for normal flight. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

Do they help with hovering?

Reply to
Normen Strobel

I saw a friend hover a 3D type model. He had a gyro on the rudder and elevators. seemed to work for him with hovering. He was good at it.

Regards

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

Reply to
Tommy

A quick thumb on the sticks works better. If you let a mechanical device fly the plane, you will never learn to be a better pilot.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Same thing can be said of computer radios....Never learn how to properly set up servos and flying surfaces and never learn how to coordinate maneuvers.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Or R/C in general, never learn to trim model properly unless you fly it FF ;)

Reply to
David Smith

Never did, never will. Part of the fun of the sport is learning and then improving ones own ability to fly. Using ANY kind of "auto" correction, whether a gyro or an "autopilot", will slow down your learning curve and give you a false sense of ability. Even when I was learning to fly at the very beginning, I didn't even THINK of coupling the ailerons to the elevator or the rudder. I wanted to learn to fly, not just putt around the sky.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

That's why I never use the "automatic maneuver" settings on my computer radios. A computer radio does make EPA, differential, exponential, and dual rates easier to set and use. It also helps when you need three thumbs and 2 fingers to flip switches.

Simple 3 axis flight control should not require gyros. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Exactly my point. EPA, differential, etc all used to be set properly at the flying surfaces and with the use of the fingers. How on earth did people ever fly before all of those gimmicks exist? ;^)

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

OK everybody back to "galloping ghost" radios...

Reply to
w4jle

Galloping Ghost is for wimps. ESCAPEMENT! Ok, who's got the new rubber band? (I've actually flown GG.) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

To which Dr1 Driver retorted,

Back around '47-'48 (I'm showin' my age here), there was an article in one of the model airplane magazine (forget which one) about a proportional rudder system. It was done by some ham radio guys who were also aeromodelers. Suspect they may have been ex-military also. I remember the plane was a big high wing monoplane called "Electra". Of course in those everything RC was tubes and relays, and the plane had to carry a bulky 'B' battery for the receiver plus an 'A' battery (D size flashlight cell) to keep the receiver's tube filaments lit. To achieve proportional rudder control, the transmitter's frequency was shifted up or down. The output of the receiver was configured as a 'discriminator' to drive a motorized unit that _retuned the receiver_ to track the transmitter. This unit was coupled to the rudder, so the rudder proportionally tracked with it. Does anybody perchance remember seeing this? Long shot for sure. Bill (oc)

Anti-spam address: oldcoot88atwebtv.net Change 'at' to@

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

No, but I remember tuning reeds. Not actually doing it, but hearing about it. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Perhaps you haven't ever lost a high $ twin to an engine out. Twins like the P-38 or DC-3 will snap so quick on an engine loss at moderate AOA that those quick thumbs will be hard pressed to recover in less than 50'. A gyro on rudders gives an extra second to get the nose down and wings level. I don't personally fly twins, but my friends do. They use 'em.

I do agree tho, a gyro shouldn't be used as a crutch to compensate for inexperience.

Reply to
TexMex

I thought they were so the pilot had something to eat.

;)

Jim

Reply to
James Beck