Machinery storage in Canadian garage - thoughts?

Hello,

I am heading to look at a mill this coming weekend but have recently found out I may not be able to use the space I thought I could at my friends shop. Therefore I need to look at other options.

One option is storing it in my unheated and uninsulated garage. I am OK if it's just storage and not used etc. I am about 40km or 25 miles north of Toronto Ontario and to give you an idea we have had frost twice already. Heating and/or insulating the garage isn't really an option at the moment. The garage is used for one vehicle during the winter so the door will be opened and closed daily. The garden hose usually doesn't freeze and near the back of the garage it's not too bad (the wall shared with the main living area of the house).

So if you were in a position such as mine what would you do to store a mill in a environment such as this?

BTW I wam still discussing with my buddy about some shop space but thinking about my worse case situation.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Williams

Grant Erwin

Oil it well so any condensation or "frost" does not wet the metal.

My Myford is in the un-heated attatched garage in Waterloo.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Well, *I* myself wouldn't do much at all.

But you could improvise cheap dry storage by wrapping and taping it with the heaviest polyethylene film you can find, with a 50 lb bucket of calcium chloride opened up inside.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I had my machine tools in long term storage while we built the shop. In our case, they were in surplus shipping containers.

I suggest to you that you buy a pail of cosmoline and cover all the exposed surfaces until such time that you use the machine. The problem you may experience is the machine condensing water when the machine cools off at night, then warmer daytime air comes in contact with the machine when the door(s) is/are opened. The mass of the machine makes the warming process take a lot more time than you have at your disposal, so the machine will condense water endlessly. We had a dreadful time with that very thing while our possessions were in storage. Certain surfaces actually dripped water in some instances. Bear in mind, we live in Western Washington, where it's quite damp. Your case may be different.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Hey Jeff,

You don't say what size the machine is, but even assuming it is the size of a Bridgeport you should have no trouble.

The "cold" itself won't hurt the machine of course, but if the machine gets cold and then there is a warm spell, you'll get condensation.

Set it in place in the garage up on a skid, or on some 2 X 4's. Oil all the ways good, then spray it all over with LPS 3. Get some refrigerator cartons or other large cardboard to make a box all around it, tighter fitting the better, and best if insulated with some styrofoam. Get two 100 watt light bulbs, and a small thermostat. Put the thermostat set to say 60 degrees on the machines table, and the two bulbs as low down as you can get them without touching anything (especially the cardboard or foam). Plug it in, and it will keep the machine from getting any condensation.

Take care. Good luck.

Brian Laws>Hello,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I would add that it helps to be able to inspect the equipment once a month or so. It would be far better to head off a problem with a little LPS than to discover a gigantic mess a year down the road.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

If you happen by Kew Bridge museum in the UK, they have a very nice steam engine that they say sat outside for about 50 years IIRC with only Lanolin on the bare metal parts to protect them. The bare metal surfaces of that engine look like it was made yesterday.

A tube or two of Lanolin from MSC would at least protect the exposed metal..

OTOH, if you have any kind of enclosure around it, a 60 watt light bulb should keep the moisture away. OK, where you are, maybe 100 watts.

Reply to
Someone

Hello,

Thanks all for the comments. Now I just have to go look at the mill and decide on it. Looks like it won't be as much of an issue being in my garage as I thought. I knew it was the condensation that would be the issue.

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff Williams wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Williams

Replace 'pail of cosmoline' with "gallon of LPS-3 and I have to agree.

I would brush LPS-3 on all exposed metal surfaces, and probably put saran film on the bed and exposed ways once it had tacked up.

Then I would put a 60 watt incandescent trouble light inside the door on the machine (if it has one) or otherwise make an effort to put a bit of heat on it to prevent condensation.

A canvas cover (that breathes) is probably a good idea as well.

Cover any entry points for rodents, you don't want nests in there.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

snip-

Way to go, Jim. Expose me for the ancient fool I am!

I'm not familiar with LPS-3, but I can tell you that removing cosmoline is one hell of a lot harder (messier) than putting it on. Very effective, though. The only place I found rust on my Bridgeport was on the table, where I had badgered the cosmoline. Not serious, just a slight stain now, but I think you know how I feel about rust.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Oh dear me. It's trash now, eh? I'll buy it off of you for the scrap value....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Hey, you can store it **FREE** in my heated garage. Please include a transformer if it doesn't run on 240VAC.

Make sure it has R8 or #40 taper.

Reply to
Mike_d2

Wouldn't want all the oil to puddle in the bottom of the bearings....

Reply to
jtaylor

I got the idea of spray chain lube on it its a heavey oil .I do not think it evaporates so quickly

Reply to
HaroldA102

Yeah and it takes dynamite to get it off....

Reply to
Clif Holland