Surface grinder conversion

I have found a surface grinder for my shop but it is manual feed. Has anyone converted one over to power feed? If so how did you do it? I
am only interested in the x and y axis. Thanks, Neal
On 19 Oct 2004 08:51:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Neal) wrote:

I once made a jury rig surface grinder based on a spare Myford ML7 bed. Y traverse was manual but the X traverse was automatic.
Instead of a rack I used a stretched tight bicycle chain. A geared down 24v dc motor drove a standard bicycle sprocket meshed with the chain and a microswitch at each end tripped a relay to reverse the motor. Worked fine.
Jim