Storing kits in garage or attic - advice needed

We're looking at possibly moving from a large condominium (where I store my kits indoors) inbto an older single-family home. Problem is, I see little room for storing my 1,000 or so kits. There seems to be 2 options: one is to put them in the attic, the other is to store them inside the 2 1/2 car garage.

We live in Chicago, where it can be 95 degrees and humid in the summer, or below zero in the winter. Does anybody have any experience storing kits in such temperature extremes? I could remove the decals in each kit and store them indoors, but would the plastic parts warp in high temperatures? Would it help if I insulated the garage, or put an exhaust fan in the attic to clear out the excess hot air?

This is a very charming place we're looking at, and my issue with storing my kits might be the deal-breaker - unless the consensus is that plastic parts won't be irrepairably harmed by the temperature extremes.

Thanks for sharing your experieces and advice!

Tom Test

Reply to
RocketArm2424

I think you will have to store them at my house to be sure they are safe.

The most important thing is to store them in rodent/bug proof containers. I have found that heat only affects my kits if it is directly applied ie on a radiator and as I very rarely heat my house in winter I have had no problems with the cold eather.

Mind you I do live in South Somerset in good old Blighty and it only goes down to about -3 or 4 and only hits the 80's in summer.

Reply to
Rory Manton

The attic will get a hell of a lot hotter than 95 in the summer. The problems I have seen related to attic storage are warping of thin parts and after enough time and temperature cycles the plastic can become embrittled....don't know why but I've seen it.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

in article snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 10/8/05 11:40 AM: Living in the frigid north, I have had to resort to storing models in the garage and found no ill effects from prolong cold- it only seems like 11 1/2 months of the year of below freezing cold.

Reply to
Bill Zuk

I'm in Albuquerque where it stays in the upper 90's all summer (sometimes higher) and I store mine in the upper reaches of my workshop, basically in an attic if you will as its above the ceiling. Winters not a problem here. No ill affects whatsoever so far. John

Reply to
John DeBoo

That attic can get upwards of 150 degrees! Unless it has aome kind of venting, even then it can get pretty hot. I wouldn't store my kits there! I have mine stored in heavy cardboard boxes in the garage. Mike

Reply to
Mike G.

My first piece of advice is don't store them in the attic or garage!

But if you have to, use plastic rubbermaid containers to hold the kits, and take all the instructions and decals and store them inside.

KWW

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Keith Walker

Mine are in a heated and air conditioned attic so no problems there.If yours isn't.I'd be a bit worried about extremes in temps...maybe even condensation build up causing decal problems?

Reply to
eyeball

My basement, where I store my pile of kits, felt a bit damp to me so I picked up a dehumidifier. It cost some money, but it protects the investment. While the dehumidifier ran about $180 or something, I probably have a couple thousand $$ in kits down there.

As for temperature extremes, I live in Seattle. We don't really have them here. Humidity we got!!

--- Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

I have had many kits, stored in my parents' attic, for about 20 years. Being in Central Texas, I imagine it gets to be at least 120 degrees up there in the summer. I have never seen any adverse effects on the plastic. Decal sheets have "aged" of course. And the boxes have been a tad bit attacked by bugs (or mice!!...lol), but the plastic is fine.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Third option: Sell all the kits on Ebay and then you can afford a bigger house

:-)

Reply to
Mike

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Or you could do what my parents did. They used to have a house that was old enough to have rather high ceilings (2m60?), high enough that they could put in low ceilings and use the space above them for storage.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

I stored a few dozen kits for the past three years in TERRIBLE conditions. (Attic of a gragage-- twenty below zero F in winter and 130+ F in summer. Humidity 80%. Just awful.) The result of this "unplanned" experiment? Everything came out fine with the exception of newer Hasegawa decals. They cracked badly. But old kits with old decals came out fine. New Aeromaster decals in sealed bags came out fine. Tamiya fine. Forty-year-old Revell decals were undamaged. Believe it or not. But new (late 90's, 00's) Hasegawa decals self destructed.

So the kits are not as fragile as they may appear. I wouldn't want to do this again, however (i.e.--don't try this at home).

Reply to
dancho

I have been storing 2000+ kits in the garage in heavy cardboard boxes for about eight years now without any problems. Of course central coastal California isn't exactly the Gobi Desert or the North Pole.

We just had a new roof installed and I am about to insulate the whole thing and put in simple plywood flooring, ventilation and lighting. Indoor work during rainy days, outdoor on dry. Also insulating the garage and installing overhead storage.

By the time I finish it all I'll be too old to build models and I'll have to sell them all off.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

but won't you look pretty on a bier of your kits?

"...but won't you look pretty on a bier of your kits?"

I love the smell of burning plastic in the morning!!!

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

burning airlines give you so much more.