Receiver antenna's ???

These need to be extended on the plane, do they have to be interior or exterior, thanx, ken

Reply to
KenKnapp

As long as your airframe is not covered in metal, it makes no real difference. I like mine inside because they stay clean and don't get pulled out by some idiot stepping on them just before picking the plane up.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Wherever you wish. Depends on the plane for me. I have had the antenna exit the top of the fuse behind the canopy and extend to a hook and rubberband on the fin. Dubro sells the parts to do this including a sort of fairing thingie for where the antenna exits the fuse. On planes where the rear of the fuse is open, I just run the antenna inside the fuse and out the opening in the rear. I have also run a piece of plastic tubing such as the inner nyrod down thru the fuse and had it exit near the rear then run the antenna thru that. On foamies, I just tape that sucker along the length of the fuse. If its a combat foamie I tape some of it in an "S" pattern to the side of the fuse because I dont want any of it trailing behind and possibly getting cut off during combat. Just dont run it thru any kind of metal tubing. I think I heard that running it thru a carbon fiber tube is bad also but I may have mis-heard that.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

They can be either. Just keep them away from metal pushrods if inside.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

If the fuzz is carbon the wire MUST be outside. Signal will not pass carbon. John.

Reply to
JB

On 1/10/2004 8:06 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

Either works. A couple of things to be careful of though when running the antenna INSIDE the fuselage: 1. If you have a carbon fiber fuselage, DON'T do it. 2. Carbon fiber pushrods can cause interference. 3. Do not coil the antenna lead up OR cut it. 4. Make sure you do a range check WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING before flying, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE USING A COVERING/FINISH THAT IS METALLIC.

I run the majority of my antennas inside the fuselage with no problems at all. I have found that Chrome Monokote and SOME metallic paint finishes do cause a range reduction and/or interference.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Reply to
Bob Cowell

But they DO have to be extended full length.

Reply to
Lyman Slack