Saito or O.S. ?

O.K. Gang:

Needed a 91 F/S for the Top Flite Sea Fury. Wound up with a brand new Saito and a O.S. 91 (neither are a pumper) I got both on E-Bay, I only meant to bid on the OS but goofed so now I have two. So which one is preferred ?

Any Suggestion:

Denis

Reply to
Denis Winters

I see this as the perfect oportunity for you to tell us!

Reply to
PhantomFlyer

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 09:06:29 -0700, "Denis Winters" wrote in :

Brand-new, both are excellent engines.

A lot will depend on what shape yours are in.

The OS is heavier but more forgiving than the Saito.

Saito's don't like to be run lean. They will backfire and try to throw the prop at you. Be careful.

I've got two Saito .91s and one OS .91. All are in storage right now because I'm flying other kinds of airplanes, but I had fun with all three.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Yes, both are excellent engines with their own individual characteristics.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Nemo

Denis --

Unless the line of TF kits has changed, I believe the kit was designed around the OS - it's the same mounting size as the .61. It's go with it for this kit, but you do have two great engines.

Reply to
Lyman Slack

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 16:23:30 -0500, mode1 wrote in :

Ah, yes.

I forgot to mention that I have two of those (one from Ed Cregger--thanks Ed!).

I haven't run mine yet, but I know that YS engines are NOT for beginners. I'm not sure whether I will be up to the challenge. :o(

When they run, they run gooooooooood--I have seen that with others who have them.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I'll second those observations, the OS tends to not complain as much if you put too big a prop on it or get too lean,

The Saito is lighter, runs well if properly set up, and both brands seem to have about equal performance, BUT IN MY experience, based on two OS and four Saito engines, the Saito seems a bit thirstier than the OS

YMMV bob

Reply to
Bob Cowell

I'll agree to all of this. If you don't mind buying lots of fuel, the Saito is a great engine. If you like experimenting with lots of different props and you want better fuel economy, use the OS. Saitos have more of a reputation for throwing propellers, but they do this only when they are too lean.

They both run great and are very powerful.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds