Servo buzz

Is it normal or harmful for a servo to buzz while idle? I know they do it when running but I have two new AS16 that also do it when at idle unless I waggle the stick a little then it stops, will it do any harm to the servo in the long term?,

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (MSW)

It may not harm the servo, but it drains your battery faster. It likely has something to do with drag in your control linkage that causes binding. If it didn't bind, your servo would center without buzzing.

For all practical purposes, in the air it probably doesn't make any difference because your servos have to work at least a little bit against the air flow to hold their position. When you think about it that way, they probably buzz a little bit through the whole flight.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Many do. Especially if the linkages are sticky. I've measured current draw in this state, and it wasn't any different to when silent..so I conclude its no big deal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The ideal is to eliminate servo buzzing. Why? Because it is consuming more electricity during buzzing, plus, it could be indicating poor pushrod/linkage performance.

With that said, there are some servos around that will buzz without having anything hooked up to them at all (mechanical linkage). Obviously, with that kind of a scenario, the only thing that you could do would be to return them to the warranty center for repair. Today they would probably send them back and ask you what the problem was. It does depend upon the servo brand and type as to whether some buzzing is normal.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

They only buzz when testing them at home. They never buzz at the field.

(It's too noisy there :) )

Reply to
M-M

I had read that a digital servo home is pretty commonplace, and normal.

Reply to
Morgans

"Morgans" wrote

And a hum is pretty common, too!