Servo Setup Question

I've often seen and think I've read about a particular setup on aileron servos that I'm curious about and want to know if it's best and why. I've seen servo arms that are less than 90 degrees to the control rod when the ailerons are level. I would assume the movement of the aileron is more biased towards upward deflection of the aileron. Also, what is preferred side for control rod to be on? Usually I see them on the outside or farthest from the fuse. Why? Thanks for your response. Howard

Reply to
Howard

This method is sometimes used to provide differential aileron movement which will induce less drag by the down aileron and thereby reduce adverse yaw at lower speeds. It is often used on scale aircraft which have large ailerons positoned on the emds of the wings. The effect of adverse yaw is to try to turn the aircraft in the opposite direction that the aileron stick is positioned especially at low speeds. Some ailerons compensate for this effect by hinging the ailerons at the top which presents less surface in the down position. Aileron differential will help reduce the amount of rudder needed to keep the aircraft over the centerline on landing especially if you are using a lot of aileron movememt to keep the plane level. It is a good thing on Cubs and Decathelons.

Phil AMA609

Reply to
pcoopy