Spektrum DX6i Radio Transmitter Recall

Radio Transmitters for Model Aircrafts Recalled by Horizon Hobby Due
to Impact and Laceration Hazards.
NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs
Washington, DC 20207
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Release #09-179
Firm's Recall Hotline: (877) 504-0233
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
Radio Transmitters for Model Aircrafts Recalled by Horizon Hobby Due
to Impact and Laceration Hazards.
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in
cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of
the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled
products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
Name of Product: Spektrum DX6i Radio Transmitters used with model
aircrafts.
Units: About 15,000
Manufacturer: Horizon Hobby Inc., of Champaign, Ill.
Hazard: The defective radio transmitters can cause model airplanes and
helicopters they control to fall from the sky while in flight and crash into
bystanders or property. The propellers can also spin unexpectedly injuring a
person standing too close or working on the aircraft. This poses impact and
laceration hazards to consumers and a risk of property damage.
Incidents/Injuries: Horizon Hobby is aware of two injuries that
resulted in multiple cuts to the hands.
control model airplanes and helicopters. "Spektrum DX6i" is printed on the
front of the transmitters. The transmitters were sold individually or as
part of three different ready-to-fly model aircraft. Item numbers and
product date codes included in this recall are listed below. The item number
is located on the product's packaging. The date code is located on a label
inside the transmitter's battery compartment or on the underside of the
battery compartment door.
Product: Item Numbers
Spektrum DX6i 6-Channel Full Range Radio Transmitter SPM6600:
SPM6600E, SPM66001E, SPMR6600, SPMR6600E, SPMR66001, SPMR66001E 807E
E-Flite Blade 400 Ready-To-Fly Electric Mini Helicopter: EFLH1400,
EFLH1400M1, EFLH1400M2
E-Flite T-34 25 ePTS Ready-to-Fly Airplane: EFL4800
Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang Mk II PTS Ready-to-Fly Airplane: HAN4425
Date Codes Include: 808E, 809E, 810E, 811E, 812E, 901E
Sold at: Independently-owned model and hobby shops from July 2008
through January 2009 for about $200 for the transmitter, or for between $400
and $500 for the transmitter when sold with a model airplane or helicopter.
Manufactured in: China
Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled radio
transmitters and contact Horizon Hobby to arrange to have the transmitters
shipped free of charge for inspection and repair.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Horizon Hobby
toll-free at (877) 504-0233 between 8 a.m. And 7 p.m. CT Monday through
Friday, or visit the firm's Web site

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the
recall product, please go to:

Red S.
Red's R/C Battery Clinic
Check us out for "revolting" information.
Reply to
Red Scholefield
(delurking for my first post to the group)
I have a DX6i, from a Blade 400, which I also use on my powered glider.
I inspected my radio but found no date code. (unless the little sticker went awol)
Googling around I found the following on the SpektrumRC website,
"If your transmitter does not have a date code, it is not affected by this recall."
Which implies there are some without date codes.
There is also a link to the following service bulletin,
This in regards to possibly bad stick potentiometers, and to place the radio in monitor mode to test smoothness of the readings.
Just some further FYI for y'all.
BTW, I have experienced no radio issues, even with a fellow flyer who has the same radio.
Brian
Reply to
Skywise
Xinxiang Changling Helicoil Machine Manufacture Co.,Ltd is in China,It is a company specialized in manufacturing all kinds of the wire 'thread insert'
'helicoil'
and its install tools,such as spanner,7-spanner tools,ST taps and unload,broken tools and so on.
Homepage:
jinshiyang
I have a DX6i that came with a Blade 400 combo also. Mine also has no date code that I can find. I emailed Horizon Hobby and they told me that it isn't affected by the recall. Also, I have never had a problem with it and I use if for a Blade 400 and a T-Rex 450SE V2.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN

Site Timeline