Considering this radio...feedback wanted

I *may* have settled on a radio. Remember, I'm a new with a focus on electrics and gliders. Anybody got some thoughts on this? Thanks! Ed

Hitec Flash 5X

**&P=7

Reply to
intheswamp00

The Hitec Flash series is an excellent value for the money. Good radio, good servos, easy to program. Go for it.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I have the 5x, it is a decent radio but somewhat lacking, however it is still my only transmitter. The things I would like to be different now but didn't know then ...

1) flaps / flaperons on a knob so I could dial in however much I wanted at the time 2) model names vs numbers 3) crow mixing 4) more than 5 channels, would like to have flaperons and something else (landing gear, bomb drop, smoke) 5) programmable mixes / switches 6) spectra module capability My case has developed two cracks near the handle (never dropped or abused). Hindsight being 20-20 if I could turn back the clock I would purchase something different.

Not meaning to bash the radio, it works great. I have not done price comparison vs features since I bought it, at that time I thought it was the best bang for the buck. At the time I was still trying to figure out what kind of planes I liked to fly and the Ultra Stick is one that I now desire along with "scale" WWII planes. I never really thought I would get so much money tied up with these model planes but as time goes on I seem to have collected my fair share of them. I never thought 5 model memory would no longer be enough, but it is not enough :-)

Think carefully about what you need now and what you might need in the future, an extra 50-60 now is cheaper in the long run than a new radio that costs the extra anyway later. Of course if you quit the hobby you won't be able to recoup the extra money when you sell your used equipment .....

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie H.

What you are saying is you should have purchased an Eclipse 7 rather than the Flash 5X ! ! !

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

| What you are saying is you should have purchased an Eclipse 7 rather | than the Flash 5X ! ! !

Yes. If I buy another radio, it'll probably be an Eclipse 7 with a Spectra module. It looks like it would make a great backup radio. (Actually, I think it would make a great primary radio, but I already have a 9C which is good but more expensive.)

Futaba could delay this if they'd release a synthesized module for use with my 9C (yes, I'm aware of the pros and cons of using the Spectra module on it) but so far they don't seem to be in a very big hurry.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

What are the cons of a synthesized module?

I have a 9C myself... and is thinking of switch to one that supports it.

Reply to
Helicraz

David Cole, a frequent poster to this group, has put together a rather nice web site that explores questions newcommers to this hobby tend to have.

One portion of David's web site deals with purchase of a first radio (the Hitec Flash 5X is one of the radios that gets extended evaluation of thi site). You can find this information at the following URL:

(thanks goes out to David Cole for organizing alot of nice information and presenting it in a clear fashion on his fine web site)

Reply to
Bob Steinhaus

| > Futaba could delay this if they'd release a synthesized module for use | > with my 9C (yes, I'm aware of the pros and cons of using the Spectra | > module on it) but so far they don't seem to be in a very big hurry. | > | What are the cons of a synthesized module? | | I have a 9C myself... and is thinking of switch to one that supports it.

Well, the pros of synthesized modules in general is that you don't need any crystals -- if you want to change frequencies, you just dial in your new frequency.

The cons are that they use more power than standard modules in most cases, and I guess you could get accused of crashing somebody else's plane by turning on your radio, no matter what frequency they were using -- with a standard module, you generally only get accused like this if they are on the same frequency as your module. (Ok, that last con is theoretical, but I can see it happening with some people.)

As for using the Spectra module (being much more specific) in a 9C (yes, it is known to work), the problem is that it has not been FCC certified for such use. So, in theory you are breaking the law by doing so (I believe) though in practice nobody is likely to care. Except for the AMA -- who could very well use that as an excuse to deny insurance coverage if an accident were to happen.

Futaba has made some noises like they were going to ship a synthesized module that works with the 9C -- and I belive they already have one for the 75 mHz band -- but so far it has not appeared.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

| and I guess you could get accused of crashing somebody else's | plane by turning on your radio, no matter what frequency they were | using -- with a standard module, you generally only get accused like | this if they are on the same frequency as your module. (Ok, that last | con is theoretical, but I can see it happening with some people.)

I should expand on that ...

I've heard of synthesized modules called `dial a crash' modules. Some people seem to hate them, because they have the capability of crashing just about anybody at your field.

I suspect that a lot of this is just FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt), but there is certainly the capability of making a mistake and dialing in the wrong channel and crashing somebody else's plane. And then, once you realize this, you dial in the right channel and play dumb about the crash (if you're dishonest.)

In my experience, a lot of what people blame on `radio hits' is really pilot error -- their plane didn't glitch, instead it tip stalled because they were flying too slow. Or they hit a bit of turbulence. Or they pulled up, forgetting that they were doing a two foot inverted high speed pass. (Inverted flight -- where down is up and up is expensive!)

Of course, you wouldn't be dishonest, and if you did goof, you'd own up to it (right?), but others may not be aware of this.

Still, I think they're probably worth it if you've got a number of planes and you fly where there's a large danger of frequency conflicts. Some receivers can even synthesize any frequency -- allowing you to use any frequency you want at any given time. Never be grounded due to a frequency conflict again!

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I'm also relatively new and have built a glider and purchased a good quality electric trainer. I also plan on building a powered (glo) trainer shortly.

The TX I have is a Hitec Flash 5X. Having read through the documentation many times, played with all the options (not while in the air), I'd have to say it has pretty much everything that a new flyer would want and then some that wouldn't be used by experienced flyers. It's a great unit and has a great reputation in my locales.

By comparison, I looked at some similarly priced (once again for my locale) TX's from JR and the like and none of them really came close to the combinantion and range of functions of the Flash 5X.

One of the more important features I found was the multiple memories (more than the competition). If you plan on flying anything beyond 2 aircraft get the Hitex, it does 5 (which should suit just about anyone). I originally planned on only two aircraft (glider and trainer) but have already needed 3 memories (one for a friends aircraft).

Don't know what packages are available where you are but you can get a nice package of a TX, 7 channel RX, 4 Servos, charger, and TX batteries for a very nice price.

Reply to
The Raven

That's a lot of it, but there's also some proper caution there. One time I bought two identical radios. I had them both on the bench and when I got them ready to take to the field, I inadvertently switched frequency flags. I discovered this when I switched on at the field and someone in the pits began yelling, "I'm hit." I'm fortunate that his plane wasn't in the air at the time.

"If it CAN happen, it WILL" is a good axiom to follow.

You said a mouthful there. Absolutely correct.

The ability to fly any frequency at a crowded field is a good thing, provided proper care is taken.

(Don't forget frequency flags for every channel in our band, too!) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

No. Eclipse does not have Crow mixing in ACRO mode (#3 below). At the time, the Futaba Super 8 would have been the right choice even though it was expensive.

David

Reply to
Carrell

This was hashed about some last year. The original "Dial a Crash" evidently transmitted on every frequency between the newly set freq and the original freq as it retuned itself, a "feature" not advertised by the manufacturer. Can't remember which radio it was now.

Although it has a hefty share of detractors, I still love my Polk Tracker II, which actually checks your frequency for activity (whether you've changed channels or not) , and won't start transmitting unless the frequency is clear.

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

I have two of the these and they have worked very well. All the features you need for starting out and enough features for future planes.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

I started with a Focus 6 then bought the Flash 5. Currently I have the Futaba 9C. I sold the Flash5 as it was just too limited in programming. In fact I recommend you stay with a standard radio until you can get a real computer radio. For example the dual rates and exponential on the Flash5 dont allow for two distinct values, its 100% and another user defined value. Also , you cant affect both sides of the throw curve separately. While it is nice to have semi-exponential and semi-dualrates its not like having a full-functioning computer radio. My advice is to save a bit longer and buy a radio thats not so easy to outgrow

-Bll

Reply to
Bill Botook

I have just lost a plane to comm failure with an Eclipse with a Spectra. While I cannot certainly pin it on the Spectra (I have also changed to a larger battery pack in the transmitter, and had an older RX in the bird) all of my planes seem to fly steadier with the single channel module and crystal. My radio gave me several warnings over the past year using this combination, and I did not listen.

In any event, I would get a single frequency radio and spend the money on other parts of the system. Like a bigger battery for the TX (standard 600 mAH NiCd only delivers about 2 hours of runtime on an Eclipse) or a reasonable field charger.

PS. The Eclipse has a lot of cool features, but lacks the ability to select distinct full span camber positions on the three position switch for 4 wing servo sailplanes. Luckily, this is the plane that crashed because of comm failure, so I don't have this problem any more :^o

Reply to
Thomas Koszuta

Bruckners is a restaurant in Greenwich, Connecticut or atleast that is what that webadress points to..

Reply to
Patrik Henriksson

Aim for an Eclipse or wait for the new Optic 6 - many good features, especially with the spectra modules due on other frequencies for use around the world. =

also the new generation Multiplex and new IPD and PILL receivers. crystals should have been obsolete not long after cell phones came into everyday use - why is such a well known manufacturer as Futaba so far behind the other brands in new technology? regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

View this thread:

A.T.

As long as Futaba are touted as "the best", along with OS, the public will continue to buy them as-is. When the masses finally realize that there are other fine options available, Futaba will change with the market.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I've owned many Futaba systems over the years. Never a problem. I've lost track of the number of people I know who have had trouble with Hitech or other brands that many consider to be not quite as good. Decide for yourself, but I have too many hours invested in building my planes to go cheap.

Chuck

Reply to
C G