glider question

What's the best way to keep my Orbital Transport glider wings from warping when applying the fill-n-finish filler? With the wings as big as they are and only 1/16" thick, I'm betting they will warp like crazy even if I try to get both sides wet at the same time.

I'm going to make this one as pretty as I can for display and build a second one without filler to save weight and for less mental angish if it lands in a tree. :)

tim

Reply to
Tim

You might try using "peel and stick" label paper from Avery. It is available in 8 1/2" x 11" at office supply places. You might put it on both sides, I do. It does not add very much weight and it does strengthen the 1/16" balsa a LOT. You can spray primer directly onto the label paper.

Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH

Reply to
KG8GC

I'd recommend simply switching to a non-water-based filler product; Pactra sanding sealer has always worked well for me. It's light, too.

That's why I only ever fly mine on B6's and B4's. ;O)

Reply to
BB

I like Minwax Wood Hardener. Apply, let dry, light sand. Then do the usual FnF. No warping.

Reply to
bit eimer

I didn't have any problems with warping on my OT glider wings with F&F. Maybe I got lucky, because I could see where a water-base filler could cause problems. Just be sure to trim your glider AFTER you paint it. I trimmed mine perfectly before painting, and the weight of the paint was enough to totally screw it up!

Reply to
J.A. Michel

All this talk about using F&F has me wondering - am I the only person left still using good 'old Pactra sanding sealer?

I've tried other products, but to me, nothing is as quick-drying, light, and easily sandable as the Pactra stuff. I can literally start sanding the first fin after finishing applying to the last.

Reply to
BB

Pactra must be good stuff if somebody with a name like "Balsa Boy" endorsing it. :)

I use Fill-n-Finish because I can buy it locally and a good size tub of it is cheap. I've never seen any Pactra filler in a store, but I think I might order some to try on one of the O.T. gliders. What's the name of the stuff? I looked at Tower Hobbies for it but all I saw was Pactra paint and dope.

tim

Reply to
Tim

Never even heard if it before. Is Pactra some type of solvent base dope/sealer? I used to use SIG sanding sealer, but I found that F&F is cheaper, and a big tub lasts me longer.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

I thought it was one of the "colors" of dope...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Joe,

Did you use the lightbulb method of adjusting the elevators after painting without damaging the paint?

tim

Reply to
Tim

Yes, it's solvent-based, and it's very stinky stuff, containing MEK and toluol -

- you definitely want to have a window open when using it. To answer Tim's question; I buy the stuff at a local hobby store. There are two local hobby stores which carry the stuff, so it's not all that uncommon, but you need to find one that caters to R/C or free flight people that build stuff from balsa. It's sold in 3.5 oz. glass jars with an orange label, marked "Pactra Aero Gloss" and "sanding sealer" in small print.

I would suspect that SIG is similar in nature. F&F is definitely cheaper, but I like the way Pactra sanding sealer just paints on, and soaks into the wood, saturating it and making sanding a joy.

Reply to
BB

Yes, the SIG product is similar. It is kinda milky lookin and stinky. It is really easy to sand and it doesn't warp wood.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

I believe you have Midwest instead of Pactra. I've got Midwest Aero Gloss clear "dope" that I use for fuelproofing R/C engine bays. They make a sanding sealer also.

tim

Reply to
Tim

I think it's Midwest instead of Pactra. They have a sanding sealer formula.

Tim

Huh? I coulda sworn "Aero Gloss" was a Pactra brand... did they sell the product line to Midwest at some point, or is my memory just going?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Yes, I tried re-trimming after paint except with a hair dryer. I couldn't seem to get it trimmed in right, so I kinda gave up on it. I was amazed at how much 'damage' the paint did to the gliders' flight profile. I think the clear coat made it too heavy.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

They could have been bought out, or maybe one is "Aerogloss" and the other "Aero Gloss". I have no idea.

I just know what I've seen on the Tower website and at the Pactra/Testors website. I've only been into R/C planes for a couple years, so I'm not totally familiar with all the brands and products.

tim

Reply to
Tim

I've already decided to make a couple of extra gliders. I turned a couple of nosecones for them this afternoon. I'll paint up the first glider for display only. I'll use all the tips I've found for the flight models including less dihedral, peeled body tubes, etc.

tim

Reply to
Tim

Nope, the label reads "Pactra", unless I've been inhaling too much of the stuff. ;O)

Reply to
BB

I don't think you've been inhaling too much. I just haven't seen any of it myself and the only thing I found online with "Aero Gloss" was the Midwest stuff. I guess Testors/Pactra doesn't have the complete line of Pactra stuff on their website.

tim

Reply to
Tim