Corrugated repair with filler

A bit of an odd request for help with this one...
I have a caravan which has a damaged alloy panel, the damage area
rather than being flat, is corrugated with horizontal lines about 1mm
deep every 6mm. I have filled the damage with car body filler and now I
am trying to recreate the corrugated profile by scraping it using the
undamaged corrugations as a guide.
I attempted to make a suitably profiled scraper, but my level of
accuracy using a file simply wasn't up to the job. The scraper needs to
be about 12" long, to be able to span the entire damaged area and
around 3mm thick. Idea was to let the filler set then scrape it down to
profile.
I have a nice big piece of the corrugated panel as a sample.
My original idea was to cast a rubbing block out of the body filler on
the spare section of alloy, greasing the panel to enable it to be
released, then using the cast block with some wet and dry to recreate
the profile.
Another idea was to wrap some round bar with wet & dry and try to use
that to recreate the corrugations one by one.
So far I have got the damage in a very rough profile by applying filler
over the damage, covering it with cling film then using a 6mm rod as
roller to span across to the undamaged area and roll the surplus filler
up the panel. Once the filler has set, the cling film just pulled off.
I'm not sure of what I am asking here, other than for help with
suggestions.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
So as I see it we have a flat surface with these 1 mm wide grooves in it. M y idea would be to get the whole lot filled and then get the surface flat u sing wet and dry and a hard flat block, we now need to make the grooves so I would try cutting them with a router with a 1 mm dia cutter running in a jig held against the panel, the jig could be located by two 1 mm pins one a t each end and the router guided by 2 rails. Without more detail I cant help much more. Peter
Reply to
annecolman50
You want a suggestion of what to do with a damaged caravan?
That's tempting Harry, very very tempting, but I shall resist.
Cliff Coggin.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin
No, the peaks of the corrugation are at around 6mm intervals and around 1mm in depth. The side of the van is vertical, so fixing anything to it is a nightmare.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
on 09/03/2013, Cliff Coggin supposed :
I have heard all of the Top Gear jokes lol
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
I'd soot the tool bit and see where it rubbed off. Laundry marker ink may work better for you as it needs some contact pressure to rub off.
The old timers made templates by pressing thin lead sheet into spaces they wanted to copy. Then they blued the tool blank and traced the template onto it with a pin.
I molded one space closely enough to shape a matching bit by forcing Fimo polymer clay into the groove, then baking the clay hard.
jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Reply to