Testing an RGB monitor

I have an RGB 14" monitor (part of a dead cnc controller) and I would like to test it independently - I'm fairly sure it's ok and the issue is with the card driving it, but it would be nice to get something on the screen to confirm that. It takes in RGB H-synch and V-synch. Any easy way to lash it up to get a picture?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hook it up to a computer using a 15 pin vga to bnc lead / adapter ?, watching out for sync on green or v and h sync on separate leads.

No idea what the sync and video rates are, but you should be able to set up a pc video card in windows control panel -> monitor setup, to output any range from original cga / vga, up to the latest wide screen.

Either that, or ebay for one of the old manor supplies video testers...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Thanks Chris - never poked into VGA before - hadn't realised it was basically RGB single ended - thought it was push pull.

The Japanese manufacturers notes for the drive card say:

Horizontal Synch: Period 41.7 uSec Amplitude (!!!) 4.67 uSec (presumably pulse length) Vertical Synch ; Period19.8 mSec Amplitude 12.5 uSec

Sounds like time to butcher a VGA cable !

Regards, AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Just checked my machine and the lowest resolution is 600x800, which may be too high for that monitor. An older pc or laptop with vga socket may be a better bet, since the screens are usually lower resolution. You should be able to set up h and v rates from the control panel as well.

Iirc, vga has analog and digital rgb outputs. Analog will probably be the wires to use, I would think.

(!!!) - Yes, amplitude is in volts, right ? :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

IIRC VGA was fully analogue for the video signals

, CGA that came before it was digital

David Billington

Sounds like this is from an old Heidenhain CNC controller. If you dont get any luck testing it yourself, try OMI monitors in Stevenage, he can test it, or there is an indian guy in Walsall, who's name I forget, but is an absolute genius with anything Heidenhain, monitors or controllers, I have his details somewhere if needed. Last idea, give me the monitor and i can plug it in to my machine, TNC 145 or TNC 151, or even a TNC 2500 (green display for the 145, orange for the

151) Bob >
Reply to
Emimec

Thanks Bob for the offer. No it's not Heidenhain - it's actually off a Mitsubishi Meldas controller. I'm pretty sure the monitor is ok, the controller is another matter ..... !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If you haven't gotten the monitor tested yet, you could try using the output from a BBC computer, if you have one handy. I *think* that will work.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Ok, no problem. I actually have a spare TNC145 controller, would have been a simple hook up. If all else fails, give OMI Monitors a call Bob

Reply to
Emimec

If you haven't gotten the monitor tested yet, you could try using the output from a BBC computer, if you have one handy. I *think* that will work.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Or any computer with an VGA output for that matter, although setting the sync rate may require the use of a normal monitor.

Clive

Reply to
Clive Burdikin

Monitor is fine, it turned out to be the monitor drive card as the culprit.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Meanwhile if anyone has an old RGB monitor that will sync at 24 khz then I'm in the market as I want to make up a test bed for this controller.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson