Omndiagonal Serialization and Monitor Design

Hell, alt.math, sci.math, and sci.electronic.design.

I have put my machine tool interests on the back burner and am pursuing a monitor, video, and data format I think I may have come up with originally, although some of it is known.

What I want to do is build some wave files and display them on my Tek

541 oscilloscope to start with.. They will have x and y values between the extremes of plus and minus 15 bits (+- 32,767) at CD audio rate (44.1 kss) on the left and right audio channels. I will use Mathcad to compute the values to be converted from digital to analog audio.

x and y have some constraints. The will either be coprime or have a sole comon factor of 2. My method of omnidiagonally serializing the elements of the x by y bitmap, which I repeat may not be original, is to start at a corner, or adjacent a corner, choosing by whether x and y are coprime or have that common factor of 2, respectively, then to trace the diagonal to a side, move along the side one increment, and "reflect" the trace in that way.

While there are no upper bonds on x and y other than the 16 bits available in most D/A converters, the atomic scan modes and bitmaps are specific: they are 3x5 and 4x6. 3x5 is the atomic open serialization, and 4x6 the atomic closed serilization. The open serilization begins and ends in a diagonally opposite corners. The closed serialization forms a continuous loop, and closed serilizations seem suitable for a monitor design. So you can see that unlike conventional rasters, the frequencies are in proportion to the aspect ratio, given square pixels.

I believe I can break into the electron microscope and medical monitor field with this notion. Computer hardware is a more resistant and well-developed market where backward compatibility is essential, and I also do not know if there will be a convergence problem with any attempts to produce color.

CRTs are required for this method. It's not relevant to plasma or LCD displays, although an extension to video compression could be implemented in software and compressed video displayed on CRT, LCD, plasma, or any other display. Also, it might be fun to produce a display for Microsoft Media Player or another player using this method, deflecting the trace normal to its direction of movement.

Does any media player you know of accept drop-ins or plug-ins that provide a display to accompany audio?

One advantage of this notion for CRTs is that the display always stays centered. The deflections are simple triangle waves. The actual drives to a conventional coil-yoked electromagnetically-deflected CRT are somewhat involved as there is an impedance in the circuit. A Hammond B3 organ or emulator might come in handy for development, with its approximations to musical intervals in the form of wheels and gears. My Tek scope is electrostatically deflected. We'll have to see what works.

Another advantage is zoom ability. When the display is centered, and stays that way, merely "turning up the volume" gives a zoom. Conventional integrated amplifier volume controls provide some 70 db of "zoom". That's a lot more than a monitor would need.

Are there any methods to prevent reflection of an electron beam from an envelope when a raster is zoomed larger than the screen?

Would a slightly different envelope shape avoid the reflections usually seen when a monitor is severely overscanned?

Where do these reflection occur and how?

I have given disclosure in the past so this method is not patentable. You may consider it open source and I would like some advice on using the GNU intellectual property licensing method, should I or we develop anything of significant value.

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Falls Church, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
DGoncz

Can't help you with any of the rest, but Google "audio visualizer". Winamp, XMMS, and Windows Media Player are three, but not the only three. This kind of thing is big in the DJ world--plug in a projector and you have a nice lightshow.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I believe that you are talking about raster-per-character way of making a video display.

If you open a Signetics or TI logic databook from the early 70's I believe you will find pre-programmed ROM's that let you do this, along with some sample circuits.

I think some Tek scopes (the ones that can put numbers up on the CRT's along with waveforms) used this techniquie through at least the 80's (maybe early 90's).

This was also used in the famous Tek storage scope computer terminals of the early 70's, like the 4010 and 4014, although not as a continuous raster (because of course it was a storage scope!). As each character was drawn you saw a square blink as the beam swept across in the character raster and was modulated to store the character on the screen.

It probably was patented in the 60's (if at all). Let me dig out my late 60's/early 70's books on raster display generators and see if I can find some names/brands/part numbers/patents for you.

I always liked the vector character generators myself.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes in article dated 15 Feb 2006

03:15:14 -0800:

Apparantly you're re-inventing vector graphics.

Vector graphics were used in computing until the late 1980s. The main advantage was that you don't need as much RAM for a high-res display, because instead of keeping pixel colors in RAM you keep line segment endpoints. When RAM got cheap, the bottom fell out of the vector graphics market, and everybody went raster.

One problem I had with the Sanders Graphic-7 displays I used was that if I displayed too much data at one time there was a visible flicker, because the controller could only re-paint so fast. If you want a 60-Hz refresh rate from your sound card, you can only display 683 lines at a time. I'm not familiar with modern scopes, maybe yours doesn't require that high a rate to avoid flicker.

Have fun building your prototype, it sounds like an interesting project. But don't quit your day job.

When you get to the point where you want to display text, look for some free "stroke fonts".

--Keith Lewis klewis {at} mitre.org The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Keith A. Lewis

XMMS, (prolly many others too)

turn it off?

The main problem I see is that you need to scan in two dimensions at high speed whereas with a conventional setup only one dimenstion is scanned rapidly

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

No way am I reinventing vector graphics, Tim and Keith.

This is a diagonal *raster*, not a vector display. I didn't write much about how the atomic serializations can be expanded, and I will soon, but I am tired, and it's almost 3 AM, so I am going back to bed. I don't sleep well.

Basically, you start with 6x4, you embed 3x5 in each pixel to get

18x20, you do it again with 5x3 to get 90x60, and you pad 90x60 with sync/blanking bits to get something even and otherwise coprime, which is topologically equivalent to 4x6. That is, it is a raster format that can be displayed diagonally in a continuous loop. Then you do it again to take 90x60 up to 1350x900 and pad again. Or you include every even and otherwise coprime pair with aspect ratio suitable to your CRT to offer a range of resolutions. It's finite math. I hope it's not numerology!

I'll try to expand tomorrow night.

Doug

Reply to
DGoncz

No, I never thought you did. (Although I think in general vector character generation is way cooler, and even more so are mask character generators, but we're getting off your subject :-) ).

What you seem to be re-inventing is subrasterization. Maybe not re-inventing, as previous subraster dispalys did it for a specific purpose (efficiency of character generation, efficiency of not stroking over parts of display that will never have anything interesting etc.) Your method seems to have a generality that defies all purposes :-).

I think the gotcha here is that magnetically-deflected CRT's deflect reliably only when you're sweeping in the same direction each time through, and this method will be hard to adapt to magnetic deflection. If there were some advantage (maybe application-specific) to your method then I'd be more likely to see how it works.

Electrostatically-deflected CRT's aren't so much afflicted by this (although D/A and sweep repeatibility and beating with interference that is harmonically related to deflection can still exist in all but the most benign environment.)

Again, the applications that I inow of that use subrasterization did it for specific purposes (and did it pretty well too.) I'm not saying that all such applications have been discovered :-).

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Thank you, Tim.

Indeed, the electrostatically-deflected CRTs associated with electron microscopy offer a promising market for such complex deflection geometries. I will see what I can do with the Windows Media Player SDK on the one hand, and the Tek scope on the other.

I think that the difference between electrostatically-deflected and electromagnetically-deflected CRTs is the difference between C and L, simply put. We have ways of generating high potentials accurately, but current foldback is less available. Thus, as you wrote, magnetically-deflected CRT monitors usually sweep the same way each time. This is more a characteristic of the driving circuitry than the CRT itself, in my opinion.

Doug

Reply to
DGoncz

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes in article dated 15 Feb 2006

23:48:54 -0800:

I jumped to that conclusion based on your statement about using the X and Y inputs on your scope. Sorry.

--Keith Lewis klewis {at} mitre.org The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Keith A. Lewis

Not entirely. The inductance of the deflection coils is significant, and prevents fine modulation of the position of the electron beam fast enough to matter.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

According to Joseph Gwinn :

[ ... ]

Typical deflection coils have a serious problem with fast vector graphics, but there are (or were) custom one, made by Celco (Mahwah N.J.) explicitly for such purposes, with rather elaborate mounting for special CRTs, giving very fine adjustment capability for all elements of yoke position.

I just checked -- they are still in business, and you can start checking here:

In particular, you may want to start here:

and note the ones which are specifically listed as "fast settling" and "low inductance".

However, given the nature of the applications, and the lack of listed prices, I suggest that you be sitting down when you call them to get that information. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Boy does that bring back memories. I used Celco yokes on many a job in a previous "incarnation" :-) at a R&D place in PA. I did a lot of CRT circuit design for various IR systems. Even made a trip to Celco to coordinate a special design once. Great people to work with, at least back in dim dark ages of 1960s. Thanks for the reminder. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

[ ... ]

Hmm ... IR systems. Did you ever wind up dealing with the U.S. Army Night Vision Labs? That is where I first encountered IR systems, with the first being a scanned single sensor printing onto 4x5 Polaroid film -- made by Barnes, IIRC.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to DoN. Nichols :

It looks as though I lost the body of my response. Let's see whether I can recover it.

Nope -- time to recreate it!

I asked whether your place had dealt with the U.S. Army "Night Vision Labs". That was where I first encountered IR imagers. The first was a single detector scanned across the subject while a modulated light beam wrote the image onto a 4x5 Polaroid film sheet. That one was made by Barnes, IIRC.

Of course, later there were a lot of other (much faster) technologies used.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Here's something, with thanks to John, Tim, Keith, Tim, Joseph, DoN, Lew, and Jasen, that y'all might get a handle on.

Mode Common Factor Pad Result Common Factor

640x480 160 2 642x482 2(I think) 1280x768 ?

Perhaps one of you more equipped (my Mathcad is on another machine) can continue this list. The idea is you can present any standard mode by padding a few pixels on the border and scanning it diagonally. This reduces retrace overhead, making somewhat better use of available bandwidth, and allows zooming (on a CRT) using analog control. The example pads 1 pixel on either side, er, on every side. Smaller modes on the order of 100x100 pixels might display well on laser galvanometer scanners. I have a pair set up with a small laser. They are deflected by a headphone level drive. The laser is powered from a PS/2 mouse/keyboard port.

I will check out the Windows Media Player SDK with Visual C++ 6.0 which

*is* on this machine. I am thinking of a 4:3 Lissajous pattern made with triangle wave deflection functions showing intensity of sound as a wider or brighter trace, or both, and I'd like to put a metronome in there to lock to the beat of music, when music is the input, just as a start, to popularize the idea.

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Falls Church, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
DGoncz

will show to you that many common video modes require only padding by 2 to be scanned diagonally without retrace.

Any questions, anybody?

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Falls Church, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
DGoncz

According to :

I've not been following this very carefully (other than the mention of the Celco deflection yokes), but here is the list of resolutions available from the framebuffer (unix term for a graphics card) on my current system:

====================================================================== 1024x768x60 1024x768x70 1024x768x75 1024x768x77 1024x800x84 1152x900x66 1152x900x76 1280x800x76 1280x1024x60 1280x1024x67 1280x1024x76 960x680x112s (stereo) 960x680x108s (stereo) 640x480x60 640x480x60i (interlaced) 768x575x50i (interlaced) 1440x900x76 (hi-res) 1600x1000x66 (hi-res) 1600x1000x76i (hi-res) 1600x1280x76 (hi-res) 1920x1080x72 (hi-res) 1920x1200x70 (hi-res) ======================================================================

The third parameter is the frame rate. The ones marked "(stereo)" alternate frames between two different views, and an output signal selects which half of a special pair of glasses you can see through at that moment.

Feel free to calculate your parameters with those. Note that the default resolution for most Sun machines is the 1152x900 at one or the other of the scan rates.

Anything Widows based will not be popular with *me*. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Mainly why, both on a practical basis (your method is complicated and it's not obvious that it would present a better picture, require less hardware, be amenable to rasterization, or allow random video adapters to work with random monitors) and a theoretical basis (your emphasis on greatest common div's).

Regarding gcd's, I don't see why a cell-based display would need co-prime horizontal and vertical sizes. Correct me if I'm wrong! Also, your program's "while" loop means that your Modes.gif does

*not* show anything about padding by 2, since it may have padded by 4, 6, ... as well. You are right, but the program doesn't show it. Here is some program output that does: H V .. +. ++ .+ -+ -. -+ .- -- #. ## .# =# =. =# .= == 640 480 160 1 1 1 1 3 1 1 1 6 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 800 600 200 3 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 14 6 14 2 2 1024 768 256 1 1 1 1 3 1 1 1 6 2 2 14 2 14 2 2 1152 864 288 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1280 960 320 3 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 6 2 2 2 1280 1024 256 1 1 5 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 18 2 18 2 2 1400 1050 350 3 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 4 2 6 2 8 2 1600 1200 400 1 1 1 1 3 1 1 1 6 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1800 1440 360 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 This is from
. In the headings, . means +0, + +1, - -1, # +2, = -2, for H or V in left/right place. Eg: the .. column is value of gcd(h, v) [or, v/3 if aspect ratio is 4:3] and the =# column is value of gcd(h-2, v+2).

As Don Nichols points out, there are a lot of different display resolutions in use. Some VESA sizes [see items 35 and 36 in

are:

720x400@70 Hz, 720x400@88 Hz, 640x480@60 Hz, 640x480@67 Hz, 640x480@72 Hz, 640x480@75 Hz, 800x600@56 Hz, 800x600@60 Hz 800x600@72 Hz, 800x600@75 Hz, 832x624@75 Hz, 1024x768@87 Hz 1024x768@60 Hz, 1024x768@70 Hz, 1024x768@75 Hz, 1280x1024@75 Hz but VESA sizes aren't the whole story, because many people like to set up custom modelines in their X Windows System config files. It might be worthwhile for you to google Modeline and/or read man XF86Config. Note that besides H and V display limits, modelines also specify hsyncstart, hsyncend, vsyncstart, and vsyncend.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

ftp://users.aol.com/DGoncz/Publications/1152x864.gif

shows that my Creative Labs Graphic Blaster RIVA 128ZX has accepted a new definition of the rarely used NeXT mode 1152x864. This was done with Power Strip.

My redefinition is:

Direction H V Pixel Rate 60 Hz 69 KHz 69.315 MHz Pixels 1152 864 Front Porch 0 pixels 0 lines Sync 8 pixels 2 lines Back Porch 0 pixels 0 lines

and these are all minimums for the front and back porch, but the sync vertical must, of course, be a multiple of 2, while the sync horizontal is the minimum. So this mode doesn't pad by two in available hardware and it does look like James Waldby was right about my factoring. That's a lot of pixels for about a 70 MHz pixel clock, but the zoomability is key, not the lack of retrace.

No conventional analog CRT can display this mode, but I intend to build or configure one to do exactly that. I will need a stereo audio amp, two signal generators with trigger or phase lock, and either my Tek scope or a monitor I can pull apart, at the minimum.