What size battery help needed TIA

Just finnished putting to gether a shock flyer

brushed motor Any idear whats the best battery to use 7v or 11v and the size/weight. thanks

Reply to
mike

"Mike @ zen" wrote in news:45b15df8$0$32022 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

Gonna have to give us more than "standard brushed motor." Is it an Axi

2208/34? One of the ubiquitous Esskay 400's? A TowerPro 2409? KMS 31/21, or 31/12, 31/08, or (God forbid) 31/09? Little Screamer? RimFire? GWS GLBM001? or 002, or 003? Hacker, Himaxx, BP, AON, DualSky, UltraFly, Potensky, Nippy Black, etc etc
Reply to
Mark Miller

It says on the website that its a electifly t-370 but the one that came with mine has no markings on it :-(

10X3.8 SLOW FLYER PROPELLER Thanks
Reply to
mike

| >> Just finnished putting to gether a shock flyer | >>

| >> standard brushed motor | >> Any idear whats the best battery to use 7v or 11v and the size/weight. | >> thanks | | > Gonna have to give us more than "standard brushed motor." Is it an Axi | > 2208/34?

Um, the motors on your list of possibilities are brushless, not brushed.

| It says on the website that its a electifly t-370 | but the one that came with mine has no markings on it :-( |

Well, you originally said `Shock Flyer' and that's a `GP Turmoil FlatOuts', but they're pretty similar.

That web page says this --

Battery: 3S 350-700mAh Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery **For optimum performance battery weight should not exceed 2.3 oz (65g).**

which is pretty typical for that type of airplane, though 350 mA seems awfully small -- so I'd be inclined to go for the higher end of that. You'll probably want a pack rated at 15-20C, 20C if you get a battery much smaller than the maximum suggested.

In case it's not clear, 3S = 11.1 volts nominal (12.6 volts at full charge.) Didn't it come with instructions? Since it comes with the motor and prop, the instructions should have had the battery suggestion as well.

This sort of plane will perform a lot better with a brushless motor, but you're looking at $50-$100 more for that and an appropriate ESC.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

"Doug McLaren" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@frenzied.us:

My bad; I misread what he posted. I saw a bunch of things on the website, including the actual Ikarus Shockflyers, and I'd always seen those with brushless motors.

Reply to
Mark Miller

Ok thanks. Think i get it now Its just that it says at the bottom of that web page .... (COMMENTS: The ElectriFly 720mAh battery is not capable of delivering the current required by this system.)so as long as it 720mA 10C or more and weight about 65g it should be ok.yes/no/maybe :-)

Reply to
mike

the motors you are asking questions about are mostly brushless, not brushed

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

and the web link the OP gave is to a complete web site, not a particular plane.

HOWEVER most shockies run of a geared 370..GWS 350 type motor and that is really only suitable for 2s LIPO..about 700-1000mAh.

Any 300 class little outrunner will be a good upgrade..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| Think i get it now | Its just that it says at the bottom of that web page .... | (COMMENTS: The ElectriFly 720mAh battery is not capable of delivering the | current required by this system.)so as long as it 720mA 10C or | more and weight about 65g it should be ok.yes/no/maybe :-)

Probably, but you're better off not pushing or even getting close to the limits they specify on the battery.

If they say the battery is good for 10C, I would try to never exceed

7C. Of course, some battery manufacturers are more `liberal' with their current ratings than other -- for example, some might label a given pack 10C, and others might label the exact same pack 15C.

I've never used the ElectriFly packs, so I can't comment on them.

For a little 3D plane, I'd suggest getting a 15-20C pack, even if you don't need that much current.

Also, budget for a brushless outrunner motor and ESC later if you can

-- you'll like the performance increase.

Reply to
Doug McLaren