Battery Help

Hi, I currently use 7.2 Volt 900mah batteries. Can I use 7.2 Volt

1800mah, or will that "fry" it. Is it the voltage that is important, and the "mah" relates to how long the battery will last? Any advise appreciated. Regards Steve
Reply to
Steve

On what?

Can I use 7.2 Volt

The extra amps won't hurt anything, but will supply more life.

Dr.1

Reply to
Dr1

The only case I can think of where the higher capacity batteries might hurt is at at WOT. The 1800mah cells probably have a lower internal resistance, and under heavy loading may deliver more current and/or higher voltage. It's probably not enough of a difference to worry about.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

| I currently use 7.2 Volt 900mah batteries. Can I use 7.2 Volt | 1800mah, or will that "fry" it. Is it the voltage that is important, | and the "mah" relates to how long the battery will last? Any advise | appreciated. Regards

Use these batteries in what?

You are right -- it's voltage of the battery, rather than the capacity that really matters when it comes to burning out the ESC and motor, and the `mah' (miliamp hours) basically tells you how long the battery will last, but it's not that simple.

If the new battery has twice the capacity, it may weigh twice as much. So the motor in the plane will have to work harder to keep it going, and you keeping the throttle at full the whole time may burn up the motor. And with a lower internal resistance as suggested by another poster, it could put out somewhat more voltage as well. And if your flights last longer, that may not give the motor a chance to cool off, again shortening it's lifespan.

And it's entirely possible that the bigger battery will weigh too much for the plane to fly at all. You can't just throw a bigger battery pack into a plane in many cases.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

But you can change the TYPE of battery. Assuming you can get the current delivery rate, changing to LiPos in place if NiCds will allow doubling the capacity with lower weight.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Thanks all for the help, its in a Aerobird challenger, and also a F27 Stryker. Never thought about the weight of the battery. these comments have all been very useful, cheers.

Reply to
Steve