battery help needed

I just came into possession of a micro strobe light(with a true strobe flash tube) , and it requires a battery that puts out 1.2 to

1.5 volts. It says it can use any AAA, AA,C, or D 1.5 volt battery.

I found this chart online for AAA,AA,C,D and N batteries:

D: (15.0 Ah) C: (7.80 Ah) AA: (2.85 Ah) AAA: (1.15 Ah) N: (0.80 Ah)

So my question is this: I am looking for a battery that balances how long the strobe will flash versus weight. The unit currently weighs approx. 21 grams (.75 oz) but I think with a suitable battery I may be able to get it as low as 17.5 grams and fit into a

24mm body tube.... not bad for a true strobe light!... I want to get it as small and light as possible for use with CDEFG minimum diameter models ........

So what do you suggest? A typical duracell AAA weighs 11.2 gr,,,while an AA weighs 24.1 and an N cell weighs 0.8 gr... I have seen silver oxide low drain 1.5 v 165mAh, 1.5V alkaline maganese 170mAh, some other one?

thanks in advance

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

One of the best power/weight ratios available is a 1/3 AA or 2/3AA NiMH cell. Check out

and look up the specs for the H-1/3AA (250 mah, 6.5g) and H-2/3AA 650mah and 13g).

flash tube) , and it requires a battery that puts out 1.2 to

the strobe will flash versus weight. The unit currently

be able to get it as low as 17.5 grams and fit into a

small and light as possible for use with CDEFG minimum

cell weighs 0.8 gr...

170mAh, some other one?
Reply to
David

Yes, you should also look at NiMh and NiCad. With a fast charger, you can use your car battery to recharge and get several flights per day. And not have to buy batteries in bulk at Sam's.

Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH

Reply to
KG8GC

The power density of the rechargables is not as good as the disposibles. Best power density are Lithium cells.

Bob Kaplow

Shockie,

The best way would be to buy 1, hook it up, and see what happens. You could time it with a stop watch, to get some idea of how long it would run. Or, you could hook up a AAA and time how long it runs, and then divide by 2? Most likely, it will start out strong, flashing quickly, and then start taking longer between flashes. End point would be when it takes longer to flash than what you want. Hope this helps. BTW, Nuts and Volts mag. carried an article a while back about uses for flash assemblies salvaged from disposable cameras. One was a strobe like you are talking about. Best part is, you can usually get a handful of the cameras from Winn-Dixie film developers for free. Can't beat that.

Regards Ed

PS. If this is a bare PC board, beware of the large storage cap. It charges to abpult 300-400 volts with enough capacity to really hurt, if you get across it.

flash tube) , and it requires a battery that puts out 1.2 to

the strobe will flash versus weight. The unit currently

be able to get it as low as 17.5 grams and fit into a

small and light as possible for use with CDEFG minimum

cell weighs 0.8 gr...

170mAh, some other one?
Reply to
Ed

Hey Shockie,

Care to share the source? I am in need of just such a beast, or maybe a half dozen! We'll be heading down to the Bunnell Blast in November and, if true to last years form, there will be a night launch.

I gots me a 24" transparent (clear as new age quartz!) salad c>I just came into possession of a micro strobe light(with a true strobe flash

tube) , and it requires a battery that puts out 1.2 to

strobe will flash versus weight. The unit currently

able to get it as low as 17.5 grams and fit into a

small and light as possible for use with CDEFG minimum

weighs 0.8 gr...

some other one?

Reply to
IceAge

try an N cell. very small and light. I love them and use them as replacement for all rocketry projects that otherwise would normally use AA or AAA

radio shack also has NIMH versions of N cells but you will have to rig a charging method.

flash tube) , and it requires a battery that puts out 1.2 to

the strobe will flash versus weight. The unit currently

may be able to get it as low as 17.5 grams and fit into a

as small and light as possible for use with CDEFG minimum

cell weighs 0.8 gr...

170mAh, some other one?
Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Shockie,

Also, try removing single cells from cordless phone battery packs. They are basically just 1.2V NiCads strapped together, if you can find them on sale you can get a bargain. You can solder leads directly to the ends. NiCad batteries are great for strobe applications since they have low internal resistance and will pump the capacitor faster, leading to a better flash rate than alkalines.

I think you'll probably be disappointed in how bright a strobe looks outdoors in the sun, though.

"shockwaveriderz" wrote:

120mAh,250 mAh,300(370?) mAh,650 mAh....ranging in

against the sky.......

tube) , and it requires a battery that puts out 1.2

the strobe will flash versus weight. The unit currently

be able to get it as low as 17.5 grams and fit into a

small and light as possible for use with CDEFG minimum

cell weighs 0.8 gr...

170mAh, some other one?
Reply to
BB

120mAh,250 mAh,300(370?) mAh,650 mAh....ranging in

against the sky.......

Not suitable as a daylight strobe, but I just got what has to be the smallest flashlight on the planet. It's INSIDE a standard PDA stylus! WHile you're not gonna light up a house number from the street, it's more than enough to be able to read your PDA screen, map, etc. in the dark. And I found a red LED flashlight (doesn't mess up your night vision) that uses the same BR435 (4mm diameter, 35mm long) lithium pin battery. The battery fits in a 3/16 launch lug!

Bob Kaplow