Dropper in 110v dc system battery charger

i have a single line (one line) diagram. you can see in :

whats dropper that connected to control card? whats usage of a dropper in the circuit of 110vdc? have you a refrence for droppers and types?

thnks.

Reply to
eoots2000

assuming silicon diodes that will provide about 1.4v to the control card.

Reply to
gfretwell

This method is often used in photovoltaic (solar electric) power system when the electronic equipment has a maximum voltage specification lower than the voltage required to fully charge a battery in cold weather.

There are often several steps to the dropping, using a single diode, two diodes in series, 4 diodes in series, etc. These days a simple microprocessor can be programmed to select the relays (or power FET devices) to close across the diodes. Three relays can give 8 steps.

The diodes must be capable of carrying all of the loads, but they can be low reverse voltage diodes as they are not used to block current.

Bill Kaszeta Photovoltaic Resources Int'l Tempe Arizona USA snipped-for-privacy@pvri-removethis.biz

Reply to
Bill Kaszeta / Photovoltaic Resources

I am trying to work out why anyone would use diode "droppers", with the resultant power loss, rather than an switch-mode solution. Particularly in a solar energy system where, presumably, every watt counts. The relay(s) would not then be needed as an inline device with a very, very low "on" resistance could be used.

-- Sue

I know, I have a thing about switch mode!

I have been using them for more years than I care to mention. My latest design is a buck/boost housed in an AA-sized tube and replaces a single AA battery in a battery pack. By being able to run the remaining batteries really, really flat - you actually get more run time for fewer batteries, for many bits of kit.

I put the idea and design in the public domain - enjoy.

Oh, and I am working on an AAA, a C and a D version...

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Two reasons:

  1. Low rf noise in the power system, no filtering needed. Switchmode is great for may applications.

  1. The dropping only comes into play when the battery is fully charged and there is excess energy. Every watt only counts at the worst time of the year.

Also, power FETs are often used, to bypass the diodes when the dr>