Lantern Mantles? Coleman or generic?

Ive been home for the holidays and cleaning, tossing and reorganizing my Stuff.
Today I did some of the camping survival equipment and found Id
accumulated some 6 assorted naptha and propane stoves, and sigh...11 Coleman lanterns of different sorts
And 4 mantles total.
I knew I was low on them, had bid on some lots on Ebay (unsucessfully)...shrug
Has anyone had any experince with the generic non-Coleman branded mantles, the Chinese ones and so forth?
http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Texsport-14210-Lantern-Mantles-Pack-of-2/17051/Cat/50?SSAID 0613
is an example, at $2.14 a pair. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80380 Actual Colemans at $1.75 a pair...
Anyone know of source of inexpensive mantles?
Id like to have at least 15 pairs, 20 would be good but by the time shipping and so forth is added, $40 adds up really quick
For stuff that is likely to be simply stored for 30 yrs then yard saled off with the rest of my stuff by the next of kin.
As someone asked on a blog...after 100 yrs, why hasnt someone invented a cheap permanant mantle that doesnt bust if you set the lantern down hard?
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:44:02 -0800, Gunner Asch

Never tried chicom crap, don't really want to. The difference I -have- noted in Coleman mantles is between the tie-ons and the clip-ons; the latter don't last as long because they jostle around too much. Get the tie-on mantles and practice until you get them on nice and snug (a double-overhand knot works best for me).

You're whining about $40? Sell that Village People costume -- you should get enough to buy at least 10 mantles so you'll be halfway there!

They have. Haven't you heard of "limelight"? The problem is that it takes a bit more fuel than a Coleman lantern.
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:05:48 -0800, Frank Gilliland

Indeed. Ive never liked the clip ons for extended usage.

I gave it to a Gay Democrat..but I repeat myself......

They make em out of platinum as well. Want to buy me a couple?
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 04:14:47 -0800, Gunner Asch

I suppose it's easier to find a gay Democrat since all the gay Republicans are hiding in their closets -- or airport toilet stalls.

I've never heard of a platinum mantle. Sounds interesting. Got a link?
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 07:25:03 -0800, Frank Gilliland

Ayup,..in fact it so easy that the straight exceptions are rare.
Say Frank...didnt you say you were a Democrat?
Hummmm I wonder.....
Least the Republican ones hide.
Laugh laugh laugh
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:17:31 -0800, Gunner Asch

Nope. I'm an American.

What about those platinum mantles? Were you serious or just speculating? Because it got me thinking that maybe a tungsten mesh might work just as well for a lot less dinero.......
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:05:12 -0800, Frank Gilliland

thanks for the weaselish confirmation..

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 03:05:00 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch

His reply reminds me of a story...
--snip-- A man is flying in a hot air balloon and realizes he is lost. He reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon further and shouts: "Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?"
The man below says: "Yes you're in a hot air balloon, hovering 30 feet above this field."
"You must be a Republican" says the balloonist.
"I do" replies the man. "How did you know?"
"Well," says the balloonist, "everything you have told me is technically correct, but it's of no use to anyone."
The man below says "And you must be a Democrat."
"I am," replies the balloonist, "but how did you know?"
"Well", says the man, "you don't know where you are and aren't sure where you're going, but you expect me to be able to help. You're in about the same position you were before we met, but now it's my fault." --snip--
------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 03:05:00 -0800, Gunner Asch
<snip>

The three branches of our government are the Legislative, the Executive and the Judicial -- NOT the Republican, the Democratic and the voting public. The latter is the de facto system that has evolved from what -used- to be the Constitution. It was created by idiots who declare that anyone who doesn't take sides in their political football game is a weasel. If you want to spend your money to sit in the stands with an elephant or donkey painted on your face and get drunk while cheering your team to victory, then stumble home to a future hangover and high hopes for the next game season, then that's your business. Me, I would rather work to accomplish something productive.
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 08:22:42 -0800, Frank Gilliland

So you are admitting to being a gay Democrat.
Thanks!
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 00:41:31 -0800, Gunner Asch

LOL..... I'm sure you can!!!!!
On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 10:03:12 -0800, Frank Gilliland

Ayup...folks like you come swishing into a honkey tonk, we'uns start laughing our asses off. Its fun watching yall trying to skate on the peanut shells in your brand new shit kickers while protecting the rhinestone belt buckle....
laugh laugh laug
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Make sure it is square. It is easy to do it right, and easy to do it wrong.
The best bet is a surgeon's knot - simply loop it through twice instead of once. You can finish it off with a single (square) overhand, or another (square) surgeon's knot.
--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

That's a double-overhand knot.

I don't know what you mean by 'square'..... a square knot doesn't work very well, leaves the mantle loose.

Same knot, different name. I didn't reaize that was what you meant.

By square, I mean tie another overhand knot, in the opposite direction of the first, rather than in the same direction, which is commonly called a "granny knot".
"Right over left, and left over right, makes a knot that is sturdy and tight."
--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:43:48 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.panix.com
<snip>

The knot is tight but the loop is loose. A double-overhand knot will draw that loop tight and hold just fine. Try it yourself, you'll see what I mean.
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 07:54:48 -0800, Frank Gilliland wrote:

All the knots you need illustrated:
http://www.marinews.com/equestrian/bend_rope_knots.html
--
Regards, Curly
On 31 Dec 2008 18:28:41 GMT, Curly Surmudgeon

It doesn't have -all- the knots....... the one in the middle of my back doesn't seem to be listed.
snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.panix.com wrote:

Considering that right after you tie the knot, you're going to set it on fire, I doubt the little technical niceties mean much.

Considering you just said that, I can see you know nothing about knots. A granny knot or a single overhand would not stay on there as long. I can see you are a man of little technical niceties, ergo you do sloppy work, don't pay attention to little niceties like measurements, plumb, level, and ninety, and probably don't consider cosmetic finishing to be important. And if you weld, I doubt your welds have the little technical niceties to make them sound. You probably don't follow instructions very well, either, therefore I surmise with all these qualifications you have risen to supervisor by now.
Steve, an Offshore Petroleum Institute and OSHA certified rigger

Site Timeline