Lantern Mantles? Coleman or generic?

Ive been home for the holidays and cleaning, tossing and reorganizing my Stuff.

Today I did some of the camping survival equipment and found Id accumulated some 6 assorted naptha and propane stoves, and sigh...11 Coleman lanterns of different sorts

And 4 mantles total.

I knew I was low on them, had bid on some lots on Ebay (unsucessfully)...shrug

Has anyone had any experince with the generic non-Coleman branded mantles, the Chinese ones and so forth?

is an example, at $2.14 a pair.
Actual Colemans at $1.75 a pair...

Anyone know of source of inexpensive mantles?

Id like to have at least 15 pairs, 20 would be good but by the time shipping and so forth is added, $40 adds up really quick

For stuff that is likely to be simply stored for 30 yrs then yard saled off with the rest of my stuff by the next of kin.

As someone asked on a blog...after 100 yrs, why hasnt someone invented a cheap permanant mantle that doesnt bust if you set the lantern down hard?

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:44:02 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote in :

Never tried chicom crap, don't really want to. The difference I -have- noted in Coleman mantles is between the tie-ons and the clip-ons; the latter don't last as long because they jostle around too much. Get the tie-on mantles and practice until you get them on nice and snug (a double-overhand knot works best for me).

You're whining about $40? Sell that Village People costume -- you should get enough to buy at least 10 mantles so you'll be halfway there!

They have. Haven't you heard of "limelight"? The problem is that it takes a bit more fuel than a Coleman lantern.

Reply to
Frank Gilliland

On a recent fishing trip, the 13 yo. son of one of the guys joined us for the first time. As we were unpacking in a remote cabin, the boy held up a bag of mantles asking what they were. I told him they were prophylactics for liberals.

Reply to
Buerste

Gee, now I know how the fanatical christian right, and their litters, are "liberals." Learn something new every day...

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

I just spit chocloate chip cookie all over the monitor......

Thanks for the warning........roflmao!!! "Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Indeed. Ive never liked the clip ons for extended usage.

I gave it to a Gay Democrat..but I repeat myself......

They make em out of platinum as well. Want to buy me a couple?

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner yours is an odd request but it happens to fit with some torture in my workshop :-).

I have 11 made in england for primus No6177 super bright mantles for liquified petroleum gas lamps. they've been "too good to throw away" and have occupied shelf space in my workshop for near on 25 years thinking about it.

I dont have any fear of the world systems collapsing and I no longer go camping so they are free and gratis to you if you wish.

send me an email with a postal address and I'll post them to you for free. a christmas present? actually I'm cleaning out my workshop at present.

stealth pilot

n1o2t3r4a5n6s7p8o9n1d2e3r4@5b6i7g8p9o1n2d3.4c5o6m7

just get rid of the numerals

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

I'm not sure I can find the source of information. Off the edges of my foggy memory, the generic mantles don't work as well. Or they break easily. And they are known to emit some heavy metal vapor. I'll see if I can find the information for you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Probably because bythe time anything but ash get hot enough to emit white light its going to evaporate. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

6 stoves & 11 lanterns?? Hello?? I'll agree that you do need a few extra mantles, but what you need most is fewer lanterns! If any of those lanterns are really old, they could be worth good money on eBay. Here's one that sold for $365, although it uses kerosene:
Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

RCM only

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 03:40:26 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Hell, no wonder there are so many of those bastards all over...

I learned many years ago to never, ever sip coffee or eat things while I read the newsgroups or my email. Look away to feast, turning back to the monitor only after you're done. It'll save you lots of money when you no longer have to keep replacing keyboards, monitors, and mice. DAMHIKT.

-- We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality. -- Albert Einstein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I bought some once. After that, I bought the name brand. YMMV.

Reply to
EskWIRED

Make sure it is square. It is easy to do it right, and easy to do it wrong.

The best bet is a surgeon's knot - simply loop it through twice instead of once. You can finish it off with a single (square) overhand, or another (square) surgeon's knot.

Reply to
EskWIRED

The cheap knock offs at Wal Mart have worked OK for me, but that said, there are mantles that are reported to be better. I have some Peerless mantles (Phillipines?) that are a little brighter than the Colemans. Get the 300 candle power mantles to fit a Coleman lantern. The 500 candle power mantles are for the full size Petromax.

I got mine at one of the Amish lantern shops in Lancaster Co, PA Those people know what they're doing since most of the community lights their homes with them.

I think it was Lancaster Lanterns The company is not on the internet 5465 White Oak Rd., Paradise, PA 17562 or their answering service at

610.593.2300.

Shipping chargers were about $8 for something I ordered a few years ago.

There's also Leacock Coleman Center / Peak Distribution

89 Old Leacock Rd off Rt 340 near Smoketown PA Phone: 717-768-7174 They're also an Amish business - the extent of technology used *for work* depends on what the bishop allows, so they have email snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net if it's still working. They have a web site too. Not sure if that's the place where they have one of us "English" answering the phone or whether that was at Lancaster Lantern.

Either place will know what mantles work and are reliable since their people use them daily. Prices may not be what you can get from a mass merchadiser. My recollection was that it was about $2.50 to $3 for a pair of mantles there.

There was a discussion of this topic on one of the lantern groups a few years ago. Here are two of the more knowledgeable posts:

............ Message: 7 Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:43:04 -0500 (EST) From: Port-Daniel Subject: Re: Do mantles wear out?

Mantles does wear out mostly by errosion. As a mantle wears out, it will become brittle but not really dimmer. The light of a worn out mantle is often whiter than a new one. Using a smaller mantle than the right one will result in a shortened mantle life. Modern "green tops" are the strongest but not as bright and white as the old thorium Silk Lite. IMHO, Gold Tops are just a piece of history, or a collector item. They are dim and brittle compared to modern Green Tops. As far as I know, Gold Tops are Coleman's first Yttrium mantles.

Marc in Québec, Canada.

Message: 8 Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:04:04 -0000 From: "Neil McRae" Subject: Re: Do mantles wear out?

Ernie: I have had mantles disintegrate with the first burn. Once burnt in they do not seem to deteriorate and, with the possible reservation that there might be some merit in a long first burn to "Cure" a new mantle, they don't seen to lose brightness. I have here a model 339 lantern bought second hand in 1982 which had a mantle fitted. The mantle seemed to be OK and when I fired the lantern up it worked fine. That same mantle is still on the lantern. I have taken that lantern to maybe a dozen Scout camps and used it every night, it has also been used on display and travelled maybe 2,000 or more miles in the past 22 years and it still works just like it did when I bought the lamp. The lantern is on the third generator since I got it but the mantle seems to just go on for ever. My guess is this mantle has burnt for some 600 hours or more and must be now on borrowed time.

I know some mantles are better than others. This cannot have anything to do with the material of the base stocking because that burns away so it has to be the chemical mix used and the quantity absorbed by the fibre. As the mix used was a Thorium base you might think it would die of old age simply because Thorium is a radioactive chemical and therefore is always emitting particles. Naturally occurring Thorium is in the form of the isotope 232 which has a half life of 1.41 x 10 to the power 10 years. That is I think longer than the world has so far existed so I doubt the loss by atomic emission is significant. Yttrium is a stable chemical so does not emit particles but in all other respects will behave much like Thorium with respect to longevity. So I believe mantle life is more to do with the original chemical mix and strength than any other consideration.

One thing that will reduce the life of a mantle is the effect of friction which as burning gasses pass through the material must partially erode the surface and if no other outside influences are present eventually a mantle will fail because of this reduction in size and strength of the ash matrix. Again the better the original mix the thicker will be the matrix and therefore the longer it will last.

Neil.

_______________________________________

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

From some of your statements, you don't think anything about going to the range and burning off $40 worth of ammo. I fully understand -- I turn into a cheapskate at the damnedest moments but then I talk myself back to reality.

A friend's wife, when he'd bust her chops about some household expense, would reply "you pissed more than that down a barroom urinal last night."

Reply to
robert bowman

iirc, breathing deeply while burning off a Coleman mantle was never recommended either.

Reply to
robert bowman

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:56:57 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.panix.com wrote in :

That's a double-overhand knot.

I don't know what you mean by 'square'..... a square knot doesn't work very well, leaves the mantle loose.

Reply to
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 04:14:47 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote in :

I suppose it's easier to find a gay Democrat since all the gay Republicans are hiding in their closets -- or airport toilet stalls.

I've never heard of a platinum mantle. Sounds interesting. Got a link?

Reply to
Frank Gilliland

Have you tried the battery operated flourescent lanterns at Costco? 12 or 15 bucks, they burn for many hours and light up a campsite. Much cheaper and less hassle than propane.

Reply to
ATP*

Same knot, different name. I didn't reaize that was what you meant.

By square, I mean tie another overhand knot, in the opposite direction of the first, rather than in the same direction, which is commonly called a "granny knot".

"Right over left, and left over right, makes a knot that is sturdy and tight."

Reply to
EskWIRED