Lantern Mantles? Coleman or generic?

Considering that right after you tie the knot, you're going to set it on fire, I doubt the little technical niceties mean much.

Reply to
robert bowman

Has anybody used one of the LED models?

Reply to
robert bowman

Roger that.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I've read extensively of the various cults and their evolution over the centuries. At first all were a combination of ignorance and the resultant fear being used to install power mongers.

But we, mankind, are beyond the need to quake at thunder or fear of divine retribution, we no longer live in caves.

Too bad, you seem normal otherwise.

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

Yes. I carry a 9-led lamp in my pocket with 3-AAA's. In Argentina I live in a pretty remote mountainous region where the power fails regularly. I gave up kerosene and flourescent for multi-led lanterns available cheap, all from China. Some have up to 30 blue/white LED's and last an incredibly long time on a few AA's.

If you don't want to buy batteries then use rechargeable with a solar panel. I have a few from harborfreight.com

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

alkalines of course. Carbons arent worth buying.

How long does it take for a solar charger to charge 4 nearly flat D sized rechargables in the middle of winter in fog? In sun?

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

thanks for the weaselish confirmation..

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Indeed. Deciding between MickyDs for 2 weeks or that rare M-N variant? The choice is obvious!!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Considering you just said that, I can see you know nothing about knots. A granny knot or a single overhand would not stay on there as long. I can see you are a man of little technical niceties, ergo you do sloppy work, don't pay attention to little niceties like measurements, plumb, level, and ninety, and probably don't consider cosmetic finishing to be important. And if you weld, I doubt your welds have the little technical niceties to make them sound. You probably don't follow instructions very well, either, therefore I surmise with all these qualifications you have risen to supervisor by now.

Steve, an Offshore Petroleum Institute and OSHA certified rigger

Reply to
SteveB

Normal? That would be a first!

After a lot of life and humbling experiences, maybe it is just humility. Mixed with the proper amount of arrogance and conceit so as to keep it balanced, of course.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 23:44:32 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn" scrawled the following:

Yeah, but it was insured, I'm sure. Still, one mistake and you're gone? Highly unlikely, I sez.

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 03:05:00 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

His reply reminds me of a story...

--snip-- A man is flying in a hot air balloon and realizes he is lost. He reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon further and shouts: "Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?"

The man below says: "Yes you're in a hot air balloon, hovering 30 feet above this field."

"You must be a Republican" says the balloonist.

"I do" replies the man. "How did you know?"

"Well," says the balloonist, "everything you have told me is technically correct, but it's of no use to anyone."

The man below says "And you must be a Democrat."

"I am," replies the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well", says the man, "you don't know where you are and aren't sure where you're going, but you expect me to be able to help. You're in about the same position you were before we met, but now it's my fault."

--snip--

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, that's the layered approach. The lantern lasts long enough for short power cuts, or to get your fuel lantern started. Propane lanters last about

8 hours on a tank of gas, which is about the duration of a change of batteries. Of course, the "propane tree" that fastens to the 20 pounder allows you longer run time. Like running a fluorescent off a marine battery.

I carry a mini mag, to provide light for day to day things. As a repairman, I need a light very often. Larger D cell mags for distance, or for longer term. Fluorescents for area lighting, or LED lanterns.

Fuel power lanterns for larger areas (camping) or for longer duration power cuts. Or for when heat is needed such as winter power cuts.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Depends who you ask.

Some folks would have you believe that everyone who owns a gun is a homicidal maniac, and should be in prison.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

From what I know, the eneloops are only in AA or AAA, at present. They are nickel metals with some construction that doesn't self discharge as much. Or, have you found D cell eneloops?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I bought a crank up one, with the funnel "tornado shaped" reflector. The unit was ten bucks at Walgreens, how can you go wrong?

  • The on off button does provide three different light levels, but the button doesn't line up with the hole, so it's hard to use
  • The internal battery only lasts 15 minutes or so
  • Has 4.5 volt external jack, but could have used a place to put three AA cells. I don't have an external 4.5 volt pack. I guess I could have built one. If the light had been useful.
  • Light output was blue, not very useful
  • Light output was a flat plane, no light shined up or down

One friend of mine really liked it, so I gave it to her.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I bought a crank up one, with the funnel "tornado shaped" reflector. The unit was ten bucks at Walgreens, how can you go wrong?

  • The on off button does provide three different light levels, but the button doesn't line up with the hole, so it's hard to use
  • The internal battery only lasts 15 minutes or so
  • Has 4.5 volt external jack, but could have used a place to put three AA cells. I don't have an external 4.5 volt pack. I guess I could have built one. If the light had been useful.
  • Light output was blue, not very useful
  • Light output was a flat plane, no light shined up or down

One friend of mine really liked it, so I gave it to her.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Between six and eight months, in fog. Not sure about sunlight.

Carbons are what to buy when you plan to give something away.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They have upsizing adapters that came in the kit. I'm not sure how much life I will get out of upsizing an AA battery to a D cell. I'm going through a few too many disposable batteries in this household, so I'm going to try it.

Reply to
ATP*

They're saying he is fired now, but odds are that he will be reinstated after a suspension. I'm not familiar with the laws/labor agreements in Wisconsin, but if he was a heavy equipment operator and not just a laborer, he probably has some contractual rights to at least a hearing. "Was the employee ever instructed that driving a payloader on ice could result in a problem?", etc., etc..

Reply to
ATP*