Lantern Mantles? Coleman or generic?

I like the Svea method -- pour fuel on the stove and light it. It's a good way to get rid of neighbors if you're forced to set up in a campground.

Reply to
robert bowman

Ayup...folks like you come swishing into a honkey tonk, we'uns start laughing our asses off. Its fun watching yall trying to skate on the peanut shells in your brand new shit kickers while protecting the rhinestone belt buckle....

laugh laugh laug

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What's that Lassie? You say that Jim Wilkins fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Fri, 2 Jan 2009 08:26:12 -0800 (PST):

Do tell!

Reply to
dan

Lol, I have an optimus half brick that can overheat and shoot flames out the pressure relief on the fuel tank. That can clear a snow fields hut in quick time. {:-).

You also get a rep for coolness when you use the billy lifters to calmly pick it up and nonchalantly walk outside to place it in the snow for cooling. So long as it is venting, it isn't sucking oxygen to explode {:-).

Reply to
terryc

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 11:57:53 -0700, the infamous Winston_Smith scrawled the following:

Winnie, religious freak = troll. Got it? Just ignore.

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey Larry, that be Winston_Smith, not just plain Winston. We be two different animals.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Quote from a post allegedly made by 'Stormin Mormon'...

"...I've got the charts for alkaline battery capacities, I don't check packages..."

For those that want 'performance specs' (check page links)...

Duracell Battery Data

Energizer Battery Handbooks

If you need a PDF Reader...

Foxit PDF Reader (Homepage)

FileHippo has older versions archived - click links at bottom right of screen (Foxit v2.2 runs under Windows 98-SE)

Sumatra PDF Viewer (Homepage)

Sumatra PDF Viewer (latest version Windows 2000 or newer)
Sumatra PDF Viewer (older versions, v0.81 runs under Windows 98-SE with

*some* limitations)

Hope this helps...

-- Yours, DBM - snipped-for-privacy@INHIBITIONSuq.net.au From Somewhere in Australia, the Land of Tree-hugging Funnelwebs... ...Remove inhibitions to reply...

Reply to
DBM

That's OK in summer, in winter they need a fire UNDER the stove. Or the accessory air pump.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 23:29:13 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

My apologies (to both? ;) As I hit "send", the bogus email addy hit me, but it was too late.

That ol' knee came up when I saw so many GDMF replies to trolls lately. Sorry.

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote: (...)

Ain't no thang.

--Winston, the truncated

Reply to
Winston

in the airmail today. any postal difficulties; change your surname to asche :-) stealth (typos are us) Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

A gallon of Coleman Fuel will give you light all evening long for weeks.

Reply to
EskWIRED

What kit? What are you replying to?

Sounds interesting. Batteries should show the

Reply to
EskWIRED

Has anyone got the data? How many BTU in a galon of Coleman fuel, and how many hours of light? Would be nice to know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The text you quoted appeared in a news group post which had this text (which you trimmed):

They have upsizing adapters that came in the kit. I'm not sure how much life I will get out of upsizing an AA battery to a D cell. I'm going through a few too many disposable batteries in this household, so I'm going to try it. ===END QUOTE=====

Thank you for reducing bandwidth by trimming text. The kit was Sanyo battery rechargables.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

All I did was to hit Reply. Your top posting and .sig delimiter did the rest automagically.

Reply to
EskWIRED

I heard tell once that someone had a switching regulator device worked out where you could put several AA's in the space of each D-cell, wired in series, and then the regulator drove the bulb appropriately. Intended for the large mag lights.

Reply to
cs_posting

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:57:48 -0500, "Stormin Mormon" wrote in :

From MSDS: 17,900 BTU/lb. (Av.) SG: 0.69 (Av.) = 5.76 lb/gal (US) (not including the can)

So a little more than 100k BTU/gal.

Depends on the lantern, one mantle or two, how much you pump the fount, how often you clean the generator, etc, etc. You can also tweak the geneterator tip cleaner to lower the light which will get you more burn time. I've never counted the hours. Sounds like something to do while waiting for the snow to melt.

Buy one and find out.

Reply to
Frank Gilliland

thanks dude, need something, drop me an email

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

A single fill, of a standard Coleman 1 mantle lantern, will burn for nearly 8 hours if not turned all the way up. You will have to pump it up 2x on average. About 30 seconds of pumping each time.

A double mantle will run for about 5 hours with 2x pumping. if turned up

Ive used them for years for night fishing off piers and canals and have fallen asleep at 11pm and they were still guttering along at 7am if it was a hot night

You really need to find a single mantle lantern, and a gallon of fuel, and try the experment your self. Oh..get the small fuel funnel as well. Or the spring loaded fueling adapter that screws to the top of the can. Either makes fueling them up much much easier