Pilot Sizes for Microstop Countersinks?

I got a handful of microstop countersink cages off of ebay a while back. The ones that had cutters were all 100 degree style for aircraft rivets & screws. I want to get a set of cutters for 82 degree screws in standard machine screw sizes, basically #6, #8, #10 & 1/4".

The question is: what sized pilots should I get? I tyically use the "close fit" clearance drill sizes when I make stuff:

#6 0.138" OD (close fit clearance drill is #27 = 0.144") #8 0.164" OD (close fit clearance drill is #18 = 0.1695") #10 0.190" OD (close fit clearance drill is #9 = 0.196")

1/4" 0.250" OD (close fit clearance drill is #F = 0.257")

There are a bunch of outfits that sell these. One that was recommended was:

In looking at the standard pilot sizes, the only thing that makes vague sense is for 1/4". The pilots are 0.250" in diameter. I would think that going up to 0.253" or so would center things better in the hole, while still leaving clearance for the pilot, but that is small poptatoes. I suspect lots of folks use a 1/4" drill for 1/4" hardware, in which case the 0.250" pilot still works.

For a #6 screw, it looks like they expect you to use a #21 drill sized pilot, which is 0.159", or almost 15 thou bigger than a close fit clearance drill! #21 is several thou smaller than a #8 screw, so it doesn't make sense for that either. The next size up is way too big for a #8, and so on.

I suspect the "standard" pilots are for rivets or something other than common screw sizes. The folks who make the cutters will grind them with custom pilot diameters, so it looks like that is what I will do. An alternative is to get a common cutter size, but with replaceable pilots. That way if I wear out a cutter, I can get one sparethat will work for all sizes.

If I'm getting custom pilots, what size should I get? I'm thinking 4 thou less than the close fit clearance drill size. That should be easy to pop in the holes, but still keep things very well centered.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

What I would suggest for you is to get ones with interchangeable pilots, and you can make your own pilots to the size which you need at the moment. I know that quite a few of my countersinks for the Microstop cages do have that -- a setscrew which holds a reduced diameter extension behind the pilot.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols