Lantern Mantles? Coleman or generic?

Huffing thorium is never a good idea, so it should be kept in small doses, wither running a lantern or tig welding

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Let us not feed that troll.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Are you using carbons or alkalines?

I think they will also run on rechargable batteries, so you can use a solar charger. I've got some "anysizers" so I can use AA cells, and bulk them out to D cell size.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The heavy metals in mantles actually make up the mantle. The silk or rayon is simply a carrier to support the metals. When first lit, the silk or rayon burns away, leaving the metals in the familar shape, somewhat fused together. They are what actually provide the light as they are heated up by the gas vapor fire.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch
15 hours on D cells. Alkalines, I'd presume?

I've found alkalines last four times longer than carbons.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Many thanks! And thanks for the articles. Very interesting

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I normally buy alkalines, although I'm converting to the Eneloop batteries for most applications. Haven't tried them in the lanterns yet. We've had the lanterns on all night for a couple nights and they still had plenty of juice left. I was surprised because the old type really sucked.

Reply to
ATP*

I don't agree with the religion but the few Mormons I have dealt with have been good people. Steven Covey is way into Mormonism and his Seven Habits philosophy is said to be a generic application of Mormon principles. The origins of the religion may be whacked, but they came up with something that seems to work.

Reply to
ATP*

The dark side is well hidden.

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:17:31 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote in :

Nope. I'm an American.

What about those platinum mantles? Were you serious or just speculating? Because it got me thinking that maybe a tungsten mesh might work just as well for a lot less dinero.......

Reply to
Frank Gilliland

On 31 Dec 2008 18:28:41 GMT, Curly Surmudgeon wrote in :

It doesn't have -all- the knots....... the one in the middle of my back doesn't seem to be listed.

Reply to
Frank Gilliland

As long as kill the infidel isn't part of their lexicon, I'm cool with almost all religions based on responsible values. (Not a hit at Muslims btw)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Ammo and components are getting expensive. Got to economize somewhere.

Collectors of Curio and Relic arms are huge consumers of Ramen noodles. Not bad with a teaspoon of butter and a can of Save-a-Lot sweet peas btw.

Wes

Wes

Too late Wes. They're using Yterrium now because of the Thorium radioactivity.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

I had a little problem clearing a path to my ice house this year:-)...

ATP*

Only if they work - and the plastic head Kidde's don't always.

Coleman used to sell little plastic storage cups that snapped onto the bottom of the lantern tank. Probably can still be found.

Just the right size to hold a spare generator and wrench, several mantles, and a book or two of matches if the sparker failed - And those essentials were always with the lantern they fit.

I have a few for mine, and a couple of the blow-molded plastic carry cases that cover the whole lantern so they don't get broken.

Do need to check out a few real antiques I've got that need pump cups and globes - the ones with the words COLEMAN punched in the little grille ring between the fuel tank and the mantle chamber.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 20:50:40 -0500, the infamous "ATP*" scrawled the following:

It's highly likely that this wasn't the first trouble this guy'd had.

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Curly Surmudgeon" wrote>> Another good read you can't put down is Secret Ceremonies by Deborah

Of all, The God Makers is the best book because it chronicles all the revisions of the books of the church and how they have changed over the years, chronicled the history (actual versus written of the participants) and in general gives information that is backed up with cited research and source. But only for those very interested enough to sift through all that mountain of information. It only opens more doors.

As to being a Christian, just as being a lifelong registered Libertarian, I am what I am.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It is a workable social system, and I respect that. If more people lived like a lot of Mormons do, this world would improve in about fifteen minutes. I just have issues with the religion itself.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I don't know - his boss was likely on the edge of life with the storm and so many problems.

A major cost and loss of time on the machine until fixed was a sore spot.

Mart> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 20:50:40 -0500, the infamous "ATP*"

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn