Lantern Mantles? Coleman or generic?

It is a matter of habit. If it is your habit, for example, you tie your shoes in a (modified) granny knot every day, and you go through your whole life having to retie your shoes often. OTOH, you can be in the habit of tying them square, and never have them come undone.

With the lantern, after you tie the knot, if you would like to do the best possible job and have the system work as well as possible, you even out the mantle so it is not all bunched up anywhere. If you tie a granny, it comes loose. If you tie it square, it stays tight.

Reply to
EskWIRED

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 03:05:00 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote in :

The three branches of our government are the Legislative, the Executive and the Judicial -- NOT the Republican, the Democratic and the voting public. The latter is the de facto system that has evolved from what -used- to be the Constitution. It was created by idiots who declare that anyone who doesn't take sides in their political football game is a weasel. If you want to spend your money to sit in the stands with an elephant or donkey painted on your face and get drunk while cheering your team to victory, then stumble home to a future hangover and high hopes for the next game season, then that's your business. Me, I would rather work to accomplish something productive.

Reply to
Frank Gilliland

"I yam what I yam." Popeye the sailor man

Reply to
hal

IIRC, the last time I read my vehical policy is said I wasn't covered if I drove my car out on the ice and it fell through.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Yep.

In a couple weeks, you have used up all of your

Yep. I feel the same way about the propane lanterns and stoves. They work great, but the fuel is specialized and expensive.

I buy Coleman Fuel, but gasoline works too. When I was a kid, my dad used to get "white gas" for fuel when we went camping. I'm still not sure what that was. Just unleaded? Or something else?

Reply to
EskWIRED

The answer is the same in both cases: Too long.

Reply to
EskWIRED

Why the delay - do they have a break-in period or something?

Reply to
Mike Henry

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 10:15:29 -0500, the infamous "ATP*" scrawled the following:

I was thinking that same thing, but since they didn't mention it, I guessed that it was not so. We'll see, ah reckon.

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 11:40:09 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

He was clearing the ramp and "accidentally" slid onto the ice. I'll bet the insurance covers it.

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Depends on your solar array. Mine can charge batteries just as fast in overcast weather as in full sunlight but that's atypical. I have close to three kilowatts of solar panels and get maybe 15-20% of that in bad daytime conditions. Surprisingly I get about 10% on a full moon too.

But there is a lot you can do to improve operation. Put up reflectors to increase the sunlight in sub-optimal conditions just like solar ovens, a fan at the entrance. That brings mine up from 15%-20% to 25%-30%.

To recap, if you're charging 5 watts of battery get 25 watts of solar panel and you'll charge in minimum time even under bad conditions.

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

How does that compare o Argentina? How many revolutions and coups has Utah had?

Reply to
hot-ham-and-cheese

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 17:03:22 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.panix.com wrote in :

White gas is (was) straight-run gasoline prior to blending or additives. Very low octane. You can't find it at the pumps anymore. Coleman Fuel is white gas with a bit of coloring and rust inhibitor.

Reply to
Frank Gilliland

White Gas (Except from Wikipedia article "naphtha"

Shellite (Australia), also known as white gas (North America), white=20 spirit or Coleman fuel, is a water white liquid with a hydrocarbon=20 odour. Shellite has a freeze point less than -30 =B0C (-22 =B0F), and a=20 boiling point of 47 =B0C (117 =B0F). The composition of shellite is 95%=20 paraffins and naphthenes, less than 5% aromatic hydrocarbons and less=20 than 0.5% benzene. It is highly flammable and due to its low flashpoint=20 is used in many low pressure camping stoves. Shellite is also a fast=20 drying solvent used for cleaning metal, hard plastic and painted=20 surfaces. Ronsonol is a brand name used in North America, and is=20 marketed principally as a refill fluid for cigarette lighters and has a=20 flashpoint of about 6 =B0C (43 =B0F).

Reply to
David J. Hughes

Joseph Smith had to pull all that stuff out of somewhere!

Reply to
ATP*

FWIW, white gas (Calumet Lantern Fuel, sold as Coleman Lantern Fuel) is one of the product names for naphtha, although naphtha itself is a generic term for a range of distillates that fall between kerosene and light gases. The Coleman product, and the white gas we used to get at dockside pumps that served recreational boaters, is at the lighter end of the range, and 100% volatile.

I used to be able to buy "light naphtha" from an old-time hardware store near where I live, and the owner told me it came from Calumet, and was the same thing as Coleman lantern fuel. When he went out of business I converted to LP camping gear.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yes, there is a process of "learning" in which you are given more information as you "progress" along the spiritual ladder. You are not given everything at once. Much like Freemasonry where an initiate is progressively moved along based on his seniority and performance and adherence to the rules. BTW, lots of Mormon rituals and symbols, gestures, handshakes, and other things are based in Freemasonry.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It's in the amp-hour rating.

Alkaline D-cells have a capacity of about 8 Ah or 8,000 mAh. A very high capacity AA is 2,700 and a high capacity AAA is 1,000 mAh.

I have a short wave radio I use mostly as a boom box. It takes four D cells. I get a fairly reasonable life with alkaline but they are expensive to buy. I bought some AA to D adapters and they work OK but the charge life is predictably short. I'm always having to recycle them through the charger.

You may very well do worse than the 8000:2700 ratio implies. A fully charged NiMH has a terminal voltage not too far above that of a nearly used up alkaline. So it all depends on when your piece of equipment decides the battery is "dead". That is certainly true in my radio which was designed before rechargeable batteries were very common. __ WS in m.s

Reply to
Winston_Smith

The problem with those up-size adapter sleeves is they turn a 2 Amp-Hour AA cell into a 2 AH D cell - which is lightweight, especially when compared to Alkaline primary cells.

Even with old-school NiCd D cells you could get them in 4 AH and 6 AH, and better if you wanted to pay for the premium units.

Just looked, I'm seeing D NiMH cells for sale rated at 7 AH, 9 AH,

10 AH... Enough capacity to do things, and more than an Alkaline that you use once and throw away.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Do you have a link to the kit? Sounds interesting. Batteries should show the mili amp capacity. And, you can look up Duracell and Energizer, on the web. They have performance charts, how many amp hours and how low the voltage should be at that point.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can't remember off hand, the suggested capacity of alkaline D cell, but it's more than the equivilant of NiMH.

When my Dad got some C and D cells, the NiCD were 1600 miliamps. Not all that much. Now they have 2500 in NiMH. I'm thinking I've seen NiMH D cells, around 9000 miliamps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon