straightening out wire for foam cutting bow

"David Smith" kirjoitti viestissä news:Mxi0b.16$ snipped-for-privacy@read3.inet.fi...

Well Dave, having been to England a couple of times and always encountered rain, I can see your problem! =)) Still, the same happens to me wherever I go here in Finland, been called the rainman by my local friends...

As to what material to use for covering the cores, I must say I´m a newbie to this subject too. Still, I believe most guys over here use balsa sheets for this, mainly because it´s easily available. You can get thin plywood too, from the model shops, but as to the suitability of this for sheeting foam cores, I´m not that well informed. You might want to post your question to this group: sfnet.harrastus.pienoismallit or sfnet.harrastus.ilmailu. You can probably post in English if you like, the guys in the groups are mostly good at English. I have always received good advice there, still I like to use these international newsgroups too just because one can reach so much more fellow enthusiasts this way.

By the way, I was kind of hoping I could get away WITHOUT sheeting the cores for the basic trainer wings I´m contemplating, but maybe that would make the wings too weak...? Still, there´s no sheeting on the Sturdybirdy II or Duraplane wings, the former is strengthened by applying strips of glassfiber reinforced tape (from your favourite "rautakauppa" over here) over and under it, lengthwise, the latter has a metal U-channel in it (I think). I have a Sturdybirdy and the tape trick seems to work, doesn´t even look too bad when covered with a suitable iron-on covering film.

Hope this helps, if not, just post your question in the above mentioned Finnish newsgroups, you will surely be helped. If that doesn´t work, drop me a line and I´ll translate your question into Finnish for you.

Ok, have to run now to get the necessary stuff for a cutting bow!

Cheers, Ken Sipoo Finland

Reply to
Ken Mattsson
.

Thanks, Ken. I more or less gave up using foam wings because of the cracking, thought I bought a kit the other day with ready-made foam wings, so I shall have to try and live with it! For info, I find

pretty good.

Cheers,

Dave S.

Reply to