synthetic field cover

Our club is looking at a closed landfill. We cant water any grass that we plant, and wanted to know if clubs are using any types of synthetic runway coverings? Thanks

Reply to
skyspy1968

agpete

Skyspy-

Go to

and email them for more info on their landing strip. They have a heavy black material stapled down to make their landing strip. I think the materail is used in making roads-like an underlayment for asphalt. I've flown off it and it has worked out great for them. You can get a email address off their website. I thought that they had some photos on their site of the runway, but I couldn't find any just now.

Good luck.

Swede

Reply to
swede

SkySpy,

It is called Petromat. I have installed (well helped) this at a local club flying field. It makes for a quick and relatively inexpensive material to use for runways. The stuff is actually used as an underlayment for blacktop roads. The taxiways and runway are all done with Petromat. Here is a link to the club's web page. If you navigate around, you will find some pictures of the runway.

Good luck to you.

CJ

Reply to
CJ

Reply to
skyspy1968

Our club flew on a closed landfill for over 10 years, and recently were allowed to move to a more recently closed one with better facilities. Nothing has ever been said about not watering the grass at either site. What do your landlords do about naturally occurring watering, i.e. rainfall? This seems like a joke or hoax. Is it?

Olin McDaniel

Reply to
Olin K. McDaniel

Thier concerns could be ground water contamination. If they water, the "stuff" could be filtered down through the ground to the water table.

Just a guess !

CJ

Reply to
CJ

Or it could be as simple as there is no place to draw the water from in order to water the grass. This is the case at our field.

Reply to
Kerry Receveur

That is a good guess too...

I know that that club I mentioned is right next to a lake and they cannot draw water from it. Army Corps of Engineers orders.

CJ

Reply to
CJ

Olin, thanks for all of your reply. The runway would be on top of a

50-60 berm. We have not discussed whether we can water or not, but our existing runway never gets any watering other than natural rainfall. We were more concerned about getting the grass started than keeping it alive. Not a hoax, I just left out some info. Thanks Donald
Reply to
skyspy1968