The End is Near...

I've been using usenet for about 15 years with various names. I just read the announcement from AT&T that they are ending usenet services very soon. That sucks. But so does growing old in general. Still, quite often it beats the alternative.

To all of those that I have chatted with over the years and whom I may never chat again, thanks. It's been fun.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I to have been on the Usenet since before the web. My provider has dropped Usenet several times and when I contacted them about it , they reinstalled it saying they didn't think anybody used it anymore. I guess our days are numbered. The younger generation has different interests I guess. That's the way it should be, sigh!

Dave Carr

Reply to
Dave Carr

Ed,

Tried to send you an e-mail message which was bounced. Would you contact me?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Never mind. Doh!

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 11:45:27 -0400, "Ed Cregger" wrote in :

Agreed. If we lose contact with you, fare well!

There are some free and/or inexpensive Usenet news service providers:

My college (which acts as my ISP) dropped Usenet years and years ago. I've gotten news from Newsguy, Astraweb, and/or Supernews since then.

My Astraweb contract was $10 for 25 GB of data. Since I read only text newsgroups, I've not put much of a dent in my quota. I switched to Supernews (paying much, much more) for reasons that I cannot remember just now. I think my subscription is in the neighborhood of $40 per year, text only.

If you can stand the interface, r.m.rc.air is available free from Google:

I only use Google for research or when I'm totally desperate.

Lastly, RC Universe or one of the other web forums may have a feed for r.m.rc.air. I think we occasionally see posts from them.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

No reason to give up the ship yet.

I've been using the free motzarella.org as my one and only news server since Comcast dropped all usenet service early last fall. As I only follow discussion groups, the fact that motzarella does not support binary groups is not an issue for me.

Go to

and you can find out how to register (very easy) and configure your news reader...

Cheers

Reply to
daytripper

Hey, thanks for the heads up. I went over and signed on and now I'm using their server. Funny, they wouldn't let me register using my bellsouth.net email account. I had to use my old reliable mindspring address.

I haven't missed the binaries since B/S dropped them last year, so this is good...

Reply to
David Hopper

Been using aioe.org for months now. Free.

Dan

Reply to
Fubar of the HillPeople

You _do_ understand, I hope, that the only thing that AT&T is ending is maintaining and providing their own Usenet access servers. Usenet itself has absolutely nothing to do with AT&T, it will continue to exist as if nothing happened and will remain accessible through any alternative server (non-AT&T) just like it is now before.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasevich

No, there is much that I do not understand about the intracacies of the internet. Such as what is the incentive to support the newsgroups and how is it tendered? None of this is obvious to me.

It is good to learn that AT&T's actions will not harm usenet.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:11:40 -0400, "Ed Cregger" wrote in :

No reason why it should be.

There is very little about Usenet that is self-evident. Thousands of arbitrary decisions have been made by the folks who put it together, bit by bit.

Here is are some jumping-off points if you want to take a peek behind the scenes:

The decision won't kill usenet.

It certainly will diminish access and interest for AT&T's customers.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Thanks, Marty.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

| It is good to learn that AT&T's actions will not harm usenet.

They will harm Usenet -- many users will be cut off and will not find other ways to get back on. But they won't kill it.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Doug, I could be mean and say that if they weren't smart enough to figure out a way back 'on' they probably didn't belong here in the first place, but I promised my wife I would be a nice guy this week.

---Like hell!

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

In article , Six_O'Clock_High | > They will harm Usenet -- many users will be cut off and will not find | > other ways to get back on. But they won't kill it. ...

| I could be mean and say that if they weren't smart enough to figure out a | way back 'on' they probably didn't belong here in the first place, but I | promised my wife I would be a nice guy this week.

The old saying was `The aggergate IQ of the Internet (or Usenet) is a constant'.

As for Usenet, if all you want to do is talk about R/C, you might not care that you lose easy access to rec.models.rc.air -- rcgroups is at least 100x as big now and comes with pretty pictures.

Hell, last I looked, rcgroups had about 1/3rd the traffic of the entire Big-8 set of groups on Usenet. (I'll need to look again.)

Usenet is dying the death of 1000 cuts ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren