Trimming A Hobbyzone Commander 2

It seems that all of the planes I buy have a 'built-in bank' one way or the other, and this one banks left. The wings are on straight, and it behaves the same even when the main wing is slightly skewed. It also behaves the same way whether or not the motor is running. I finally figured out how to trick the electronics ito giving me more trim to compensate, but I'd like to address the problem. Suggestions?

Reply to
mjc1

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 03:35:17 GMT, "mjc13" wrote in :

Try adjusting the ruddervators.

The LEFT ruddervator should be pulled up just a little bit and the RIGHT ruddervator should be pulled down just a little bit. Maybe 1/16"?

The effect should be to swing the tail a little bit to the left, which will cause the nose to swing a little bit to the right, which should counteract the tendency to roll left.

You might also try cutting aileron trim tabs into the trailing edge of the wings, but that would take a whole lot more bravery than tweaking the ruddervators.

Hmm, if you have one of the autopilot versions, then it could be your autopilot is looking at the world crooked ...

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

wrote in :

I was going to adjust the RV - the right one, anyway. It's necessary to do both? What I mainly meant was 'What could be making a straight plane with straight wings (and flush ruddervators) bank so consistently to one side?'

The only cruise control I have is throttle trim, and with just one motor I don't see how that could be it...

Reply to
mjc1

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 06:54:18 GMT, "mjc13" wrote in :

I don't know. You'll find out by experimenting.

"One observation is worth 1000 expert opinions." :o)

A little twist in the fuselage?

A little warp in the wings?

One wing slightly higher than the other?

One slightly heavier than the other?

Unbalanced weight in the fuselage somewhere?

A slight bias in the radio?

One control string slightly tighter than the other?

One control string slightly weaker than the other?

"Why" really isn't as important as "That." You have observed that there is something slightly off in your setup. Experiment and see what fixes it. If holding the stick slightly to the right fixes it, note how far you're pushing the stick, land, look at the ruddervators with that much input, then adjust the linkages so that they sit that way when the stick is at neutral. Then go fly.

OK. The thing I saw in an ad for the plane is an automatic wing leveler. If you don't have that option, then that can't be causing the problem.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

"mjc13 @verizon.net>"

Reply to
MJKolodziej

| "One observation is worth 1000 expert opinions." :o)

One good quote deserves another --

Westheimer's Discovery: A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently save a couple of hours in the library.

| > The only cruise control I have is throttle trim, and with just one | >motor I don't see how that could be it... | | OK. The thing I saw in an ad for the plane is an | automatic wing leveler. If you don't have that | option, then that can't be causing the problem.

According to this page --

it doesn't have an automatic wing leveler. Instead, it will pull itself out of steep dives automatically.

Unless the dihedral counts as an `automatic wing leveler' -- and I would say it does.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

wrote in :

This is a general reply to everyone who provided helpful suggestions. Thanks! I'll recheck the plane's balance. The servos and control lines seem to be functioning normally. Maybe the wing is out of shape; I have another brand new wing, and can try flying it with that. If I don't find the problem, I'll just raise the right ruddervator a bit.

Reply to
mjc1

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:24:17 GMT, "mjc13" wrote in :

Needing to trim an airplane is normal--not really a problem.

If you raise the right ruddervator, the air will hit it on top.

That will tend to drive the tail down and to the right.

This will tend to yaw the nose of the airplane to the LEFT.

Yawing the nose to the LEFT will tend to make the airplane bank to the LEFT.

If your problem is rolling to the LEFT, I don't think raising the right ruddervator will help.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

wrote in :

I'll have to see what the trim control is doing, and just add more of *that*...

Reply to
mjc1

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 09:27:57 GMT, "mjc13" wrote in :

Makes sense.

Let us know how it all turns out.

Marty

Reply to