Turbine problems

Since that Turbine powered jet hit a condo and set it on fire in Palm Beach, a couple of years ago - Jets have gotten a bad name around the area. I want to get involved , but at the large initial cost I am worried about sanctions against them. Has anyone heard about this and the AMA's position regarding this. I have also tried to contact the AMA on several ocassions and left phone messages, but no return calls to date.

Reply to
Beaner

Go to

and read through the RC Jets forum. You'll get lots of information. The bottom line is there is a certification process that one goes through to prove they are capable of handling jets.

Reply to
C G

Then how does one account for the Florida incident?

Oh, it affirms that they know how to handle it on the ground, not necessarily while flying.

You know, just because you can do a thing, does not mean that you actually should do a thing. I am surprised that limits on model size and propulsion methods have not been federally, or at least state, regulated by now.

No, I am not proposing that such actions should actually be taken, nor do I even think that anyone would benefit by regulating modeling - at this point. However, if some of our brethren do not begin applying some limits on their ventures, there are plenty of folks that will do it for us. If that same incident had occurred in California instead of Florida...

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Well you make a good point.

Reply to
balleyhoo

An accident? I don't know, I'm not interested in flying jets, so I haven't researched it. We license people to drive cars, but still there are accidents. Should we outlaw driving? We license pilots, but still there are accidents. Should we outlaw flying? Just because you may not be interested in doing something does not mean others cannot or should not do it.

If you think the certification only confirms ground handling ability then obviously you know little about the certification.

Reply to
C G

Certification? By whose authority?

Reply to
Chuck Jones

George W. Bush and Homeland Security, thats whose.

Reply to
balleyhoo

Not too many years ago a 40 size trainer was flying in a county park. The trainer caught the attention of a passing DC-9 pilot who, thinking the trainer was a potential threat of some kind, took evasive action. The DC-9 was on final into Dulles International outside of Washington DC and was around a 1000-1500 feet AGL.

What if that pilot had lost it in his enthusiasm to avoid whatever he thought that trainer was?

Funny thing is, that R/C flyer was a member of the AMA, had driven 30 miles to get to that park, had passed close to two AMA club fields and a few renegade fields on his way to the park. And was a short 7 miles from his own club field.

If you want to call the one mindset "Freaks", you had better accept "Idiots" for the other group.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Certification, waiver, whatever. Are you an AMA member? Are you interested in flying turbines, or curious, or what?

Reply to
C G

Hmm, you sharpen the pitch forks and I'll go start making torches...FIRST Calipornia then D.C. NEVER ask what I think of the HSA or the unPatriot act that created them.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

I know practically nothing about the certification. I did read a bit about it early on, but my interest waned after a bit. Too much like work, too much money, special fields are needed, etc. I mess with models to have fun. If I am going to work that hard, I expect to earn money for my effort.

Besides, you missed the point of my post, or you are intentionally avoiding it. Which is just as well, I suppose. Your opinions are yours and my opinions are mine. Nothing will change by going to war over it here on the group.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Completely intentional. I too have no interest in the money, time, etc required for turbines. I can't see the fun in risking so much money every time I fly. However, I do think they are cool and respect people's rights to fly them.

Reply to
C G

How would you feel if one day soon, someone in China began producing and selling viable turbine engines in the same size and thrust range for a little less than $500, complete?

That price would be low enough that even the kids racing R/C cars could afford to buy into the turbine craze. I say this, because I knew of a community in NJ where the kids dropped $500 a month on R/C car parts, each and every month. Actually, I knew the hobbyshop owner and he was telling me how he made much more money from the R/C car kids than he did all of the middle-aged R/C pilots in the area. After seeing several sales while standing there, I tend to believe him.

Anyway, when virtually anyone could afford to fly turbines, do you think the AMA certification requirement would last? I doubt it. Too much paperwork. Would the AMA drop coverage for jet powered models altogether? Perhaps, but I'll bet someone else would step up to fill their shoes.

In other words, would you continue to go to that field if the air was saturated by kids (some in their 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's too) flying turbine powered models? I would have to think twice about it.

You used to have the right to shoot a rifle in NJ. Don't get caught doing that now outside of a recognized rifle range.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

As I understood it, no AMA certification - no AMA insurance. That is the authority we are referring to.

If you have your own insurance...

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I've seen them for not much more, but I don't remember the link.

At that spending pace, they could be into big, fast planes already. Wonder why they aren't?

Maybe, maybe not.

They could be flying fast planes now, why aren't they?

I shoot my Ruger MkII in my backyard.

Reply to
C G

I wish I had a turbine for that much money that ran well. I'd mount it up on a board, just to run it in the driveway. No, I wouldn't turn it loose on an airplane. Now if I had four of them, I might consider trying to make a hovercraft...

When the wife and I moved down south, we had every intention of buying enough property that was properly located where I could shoot in my backyard. Northwest Georgia turned out to be a lot more modernized and crowded than we had thought it would be. I was picturing it the way that Southwest Virginia was in the early sixties. I doubt if anywhere in the US is like that now.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

AMA.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

There are still places like that Ed. Problem is, if you went south to escape the winters, then you're out of luck. The plains states have lots of open country still. But it's filling up too.

I was just looking at property in Nebraska yesterday. Decent enough pieces ranging from a couple of hundred acres to a thousand and more. And most for prices less than you might pay for a house today in the metro areas of the country.

But as to turbines, my concern is this. I see a pervasive attitude on the NG that seems to hint at the idea that the AMA is the governing authority for turbines. The AMA has no such authority except within its own membership. And even then, they can do nothing to stop any member who might want to buy a turbine and go fly it. They can only attempt to stop him from flying at AMA insured sites (but they're not an insurance company). And if the site owner gives the OK, the AMA can't even stop the flight then.

The biggest thing the AMA could do for itself is to realize it's not a god! Then realize it's here to serve the membership. Not itself! Then it needs to get a sense of discipline and enforce the standards. Right now the biggest joke I see in the AMA is that they do not practice what they preach. And that goes for some of the nay saying opposition to the present regime.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

"Ed Cregger" SNIP

You to eh?

Come to Montana Ed! Yes it's windy...but a season here and you'll probably wonder why people say "Oh that wind is over 10mph I'm not flying" That's about normal here...probably makes for better pilots. 8^)

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

Then the question is "Are they a Government agency?" to which the answer is NO. Can they put me in jail? No...nor anything else that an agency of out government can do.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner