Viton Tubing and Fuels

Small Parts has Viton tubing in a size and at a price that looks very good for Cox reed-valve .049 engines. I wish there were a choice, but these suckers need tubing with a 1/32" inner diameter, which is a bit on the small side.

Small Parts doesn't say exactly _what_ sort of viton it is, and the Dow web site just says that Viton is resistant to "many different fuels" and has a gazzilion different choices. I gather I'm supposed to buy some and try it out.

How likely is it that this stuff will stand up to model airplane glow fuel, which is castor oil, synthetic oil, methanol and nitromethane?

How about model airplane diesel fuel, which in spite of its name is castor oil, ether, some real diesel oil and (optionally) hexyl- butyl- or "other"yl-nitrate?

As an alternative I can buy tubing that's made specifically for the engine with glow fuel for about 5x as much, and _other_ tubing that's made specifically for the diesel fuel (by Davis Diesel Development), also for about 5x as much. But if I can just get a long length of one kind of tube, I'll be happy.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Viton is incompatible with nitromethane.

Richard J Kinch

according to that, the silicone tubing we use has the same restrictions

Reply to
Bob Cowell