Fuel Revisited

I ran across an article about using a couple % of acetone in fuel. Anyone actually done this? After my LHS switched from 15% Nitro, castor/synthetic blend to 15% Nitro, 18% straight synthetic, I have had to re-adjust everything I have used it in. It may be a coincidence, but planes that I have flown for years and are rock solid performers now need to be re-adjusted for the fuel change. It doesn't make sense that going from castor to straight synthetic oil would make such a difference, so far, every plane with the new fuel needs to have the low end tweaked so it won't die in flight. Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill

refer to

"Fuel"

Byron Fuels - mfg plant etc Castor vs Synthetic - FHS (Red Max) recommendations. FUELS - John Modistach Fuels - Brian Hampton Klotzlube.com - Glo Fuel Blending Chart Morgan Fuels = Cool Power etc. Nitromethanol, and/or RC Fuel Oil test comparisons Powermaster Hobby Products Inc. Powermaster - 2st vs 4st fuels - is there a difference? Powermaster - What is the Oil Content_ Powermaster - Which Oil is Better- Synthetic or Castor_ Nitromethane, The Mystery Ingredient Storing Fuel for Maximum shelf life RC Nitro Engines - Fuel properties Tech Charts - J Modistach Water in Fuel - test results and effects Wildcat Wildcat Hot-Fax Letter

in particular -

the technical information . I recommend 3% acetone. FWIW Mobil racing no 5 fuel is actually 97% Methanol, 2% acetome and 1% castor.

regards

Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

Reply to
Brian Hampton

What does the acetone do?

Reply to
jeboba

Bill,

I am curious to know if acetone would remain in a state that could disolve or soften plastic. Adding acetone may compromise components of your fuel system. I would suggest testing by adding say... 30% acetone to off the shelf fuel and store in an old tank- (1/2 full)- and tubing of the desired materials and wait a month to see if the tank geometry or structural integrety has been compromised.

Regards,

Sisyphus

Reply to
Sisyphus

P.S.

I would avoid technical grade acetone because it is extremely hydroscopic. Pure acetone may be difficult to acquire.

Please post the results if you do wish to test.

Thanks,

Sisyphus

Reply to
Sisyphus

in message news:...

castor/synthetic

I use a couple of caps of unleaded gas to a gallon of straight synthetic fuel. Done it for over 10 years, motors run sweet, and no degredation of fuel tank or pipes. My favourite model is 7 years old and still going strong.

Steve Fitch

Reply to
Steve