What Prop for OS 1.6 FX?

Hi, What prop works best for an OS 1.6 FX with stock muffler running in a GP

1/4 scale Giles 202? I think that I have enough fuel thru it to turn the engine loose and see what happens. I have been running a Zinger 18 X 10 on LHS advice. I do not know what the RPM is but it seams bog down slightly on the verticals.Still running rich on straight level flight. TIA, Dan.
Reply to
DANNYSPEED

On 8/29/2003 8:20 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

I am not sure how the Zinger compares to the APC and Master Airscrew in performance. If it compares about the same as a Master Airscrew, a simple change to an APC MAY solve your problem (APC is a more efficient prop).

If it is closer to an APC in performance, I would try some of the following: 18 x 6; 16 x 10; 16 x 8 for better vertical. You will probably lose a little on top speed, but your vertical will be better.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I like the APC 18x8 for the OS 1.60FX. Depending upon the model, naturally.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

APC 18X6W for best vertical and overall performance. The 18X8 is good too.

Reply to
Brian Jolicoeur

Dan I have the same engine in one of my Giles and I run a Pro Zinger

18x8 on it with good results, I also run a Pro Zinger 19x10 and like the way it pulls the Giles a little better than the 18x8. Some guy's have said that the 19 is to much prop for the 1.60 but I have been running it for a year and not a problem, It also helps slow the Giles down on final. Strange how you get different advise about the break in on the 1.60, I broke all three of my 1.60's in on a Master Airscrew 16x8 and have never had a problem with any of them.
Reply to
Bob B

Thanks for the advice guys, I have an APC 18 X 6w and I think I'll try it but the next time I'm at the hobby shop I'll see what else is available. Last year I saw a Giles just like mine with a Webra 1.2 on and it really moved, no lack of power there. Mine seams to have average speed and goes vertical pretty well but you know that you always want more. Thanks again, Dan.

Reply to
DANNYSPEED

Being a ringed engine, it is good to run a smaller than normal prop during break-in, but at the projected operating rpm, while maintaining a rich mixture. Your combo sounds spot-on to me, Bob.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I have been using a standard Zinger 18X6, turning around 9000rpm after break in. I have an APC 18X6w I haven't tried yet, but in many places I've read that it is a great prop for this engine.

Reply to
Frank Costa