wing question

If an ARF has a three piece wing and the dihedral is not the same on both sides (1 inch difference at the wing tip), what are the consequences to the flight characteristics ?

Regards, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie H.

It will not fly straight. The unequal dihedral will equalize in the air. It will roll to the higher side, or wing with more dihedral. This will make the horizontal stab fly at a roll angle instead of horizontally. Loops will not be vertical and any elevator input will impart a rolling motion as well. It will probably be difficult to trim for straight and level flight.

If possible, correct the inequity in the dihedral.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Thank you for the clear explanation. The plane is Kyosho AT-6. Everything is glued (the wing pieces fit together so nice and tight at the joints that I did not check the wing tips against the workbench, bad mistake). As soon as the assembled wing was put on the bench it was obvious that it was not equal. I have been considering sawing off one wing and trying to reattach it, but I doubt this operation would be successful considering the wing spar would be impossible to remove from the center fiberglass section or the wing section. I have also been looking for a reasonably compatible Balsa wing I could build from scratch, no luck so far. Thanks once again for the flight characteristic explanation, I understand exactly what you are telling me.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie H.

It would be much easier to remove the horizontal stab and reattach it in line with the wing. This will make the fuselage fly a little tilted, but once in the air, no one will notice. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Gotta move that vertical fin too :)

Will

- Our eBay Stuff

Reply to
Will Hicks

Good point! Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

It would have been easier if I had not put my brain in neutral, the instructions clearly point out that this is important. All I was concerned about is how the glue joint looked. For what it is worth it does look real nice :-( This plane has a fiberglass fuselage with the vertical stab integrated into it so there is no way to adjust it. Just a big ol' goof up that I am trying to figure a way out of. While I am certainly not a master builder I should have been able to glue this ARF together without making this kind of error. But since I am where I am, I appreciate the ideas.

CH

Reply to
Charlie H.

Depending upon how you explain things, the manufacturer might send you another wing, no charge?

DC3

Reply to
DC3Gooney

I agree, be a little creative and let them understand you, in that an ARF should not require in depth building skills.

Reply to
Dell Shannon

It is my fault. If I go the Kyosho new wing route I will pay for it.

CH

Reply to
Charlie H.

Partially so. However, if the wing was properly made, if the two pieces were mated with no gaps, etc, then the dihedral should have been correct. The angles on the joining surfaces must not have been correct.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

cann't the fuse. wing seat be shimed? or cut down on one side ?

Reply to
bauchas