Anyone else use the _track command?

It's something that's just been kept present in all the new versions of Autocad, I don't know the original version it appeared, at least R12.
It only works once you start a command, and it allows you to move about the workspace as if you were drawing lines (including using object snaps.) I find this is much easier to work with than standard Object Snap Tracking, which interferes too often when you don't need it and turning it on and off all the time is a hassle.
I finally stopped turning Ortho on and off all the time by using Polar at 90 degree increments, and only very rarely do I need to turn it off. No more constant reaching for the function keys! :) (Well, there is regular snaps, but I think I will give clicking it off a go, along with polar.)
So, if you know about it, do you use it?
If you don't, give it a try and let me know your opinions.
Tracking first appeared in release 14 and quickly went into hiding (undocumented) in 2000. I have it right at the top of my osnap menu (shift+right-click). Couldn't do without it. I also use O-track all the time. Never used temporary tracking points. Useless.
Pete

In a previous post Pete wrote...

Tracking was in Generic Cadd -- you know that DOS based CAD program that Autodesk bought and killed because it was way better than their top of the line product.
Anyway, I've been using tracking since the days of GCadd. Couldn't do without it.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

me too.. always hated the damn thing,,,, i think my fingers might move to fast for it or maybe it actually adds an un-needed step... i dunno
I fooled with it this morning, and what it *seems* to do I do with point filters and those nifty built-in CAL functions...I'll need a testimonial from some one.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
snipped-for-privacy@dont.try (Michael Bulatovich) wrote:

not only othogonal lines, but also lines to the directions of the polar angle settings (DSettings -> Polar Tracking)
Juergen

We live in the year 2006 ;-))
(Jrgen Palme) wrote:

I know; I know - and how the price rises to match the year! (:-))
Brian.
That's one thing I HAVEN'T been able to grasp. (Haven't given it my best effort either, honestly)
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

it's just been the last few months that I have been taking advantage of the point filters. late to the party again.
my eldest son showed me how to use displacement (with ortho on) for things like stretch & move. I had been doing @x,y - pecking on the keyboard way too much.
silly.
old dogs, new tricks. :)
How'd you get it in that menu??? I would love that! I never saw a way to customize that snaps menu, but R16 has some major new customization "improvements" I haven't truly learned.
Nope, does not work well like the really great tracking command in old Generic CADD, a nice program killed off by Autodesk.