CAD and Pentium 4 vs Pentium M

Got'em already.
I make my living programming a gps bulldozer, among other things.
Happy Trails To You
I just knew somebody was going to say that. :)
Doug T
Happy Trails wrote:

"Hello, I'm currently enrolled in a Masters in Landscape Architecture program, and the program requires heavy use of CAD and other performance-intensive utilities. I received a list of minimum and recommended specifications for a notebook computer required to take classes. The point of this discussion is the chip specification. The list of specs says I need a pentium 4 chip with at least 3 GHz. Checking the typical notebook providors (IBM, Sony, Dell, etc), none of them are still making notebooks with Pentium 4 chips. Instead, all of them are outfitted with Pentium M chips, the fastest of which is 1.8 GHz.
I have heard (wikipedia's article on pentium chips) that Pentium M chips, although spinning at a slower GHz, can out-perform Pentium 4 chips. If this is true, is there a reliable conversion factor between Pentium 4 performance and Pentium M performance? More specifically, how many GHz would be needed in a Pentium M chip to get the same performance in CAD as a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 chip?
Thank you for your time and hard-earned knowledge, "
Number of references to Notebooks 2, number of references to "over the top" 0, number of references to CAM 0, maybe you should remove your head from it's current location and issue an apology.

Or do it the good old way with a spade.