Best Processor

I know this has been beat to death but Im gonna swing again. What is the better processor today for Solidworks, Cosmos Works and Motion. 1000 piece assemblies. So many possibilities and so little time to do my homework, so I figured I'd pick a few brains out there to save a bit of pain.

These postings usually get hijacked to discuss personal gripes. Please keep it to relevant discussion.

Reply to
DiscDawg

Hard to say. I haven't seen anyone willing to benchmark the new crop of Intel Duo processors. If you are comparing the older Pentium to AMD Athlon or Opteron then the AMD items are better. I have tested a three year old AMD against a newer Intel Duo (top of the line from Dell) and find it to only be about 20% faster on some things and slower on others. I have no explanation for this since the Intel Duo should be multiple times faster than my AMD64 FX53. To only see 20% improvement when comparing a three year old processor to a brand new dual core just doesn't seem right.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Using a Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.67GHz/1066/4MB) atm and it works fine with 5k+ parts (its not really the processor that is the bottleneck with large assemblies)

Reply to
Ronni

What is the bottelneck at the large assembly stage? How about when doing FEA?

Reply to
DiscDawg

Ronni,

Have you run any benchmarks? I can say the same about my AMD64 FX53 or the new Intel DUO. Fine is subjective. You should be able to find Ship in a Bottle by searching the news group. Run that and let us know. Thanks in advance.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

We run a gigabit network. Until the IT guy got a hold of it, the network wasn't the bottleneck. We could run large assemblies as fast over the network as locally. From watching network bandwidth either large assemblies or large assembly drawings will hit the network for a very short intense burst and then settle down to regenerating whatever needs rebuilding. And this takes processor time.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

I presume the processor is not teh bottleneck on the following data I have collected.

When I load a big assembly it uses less than 30% of my CPU while loading the data into RAM. After that is done my processor goes to 100%.

The loading time for a 5k assembly is often 5-10 minutes, where the rebuild after loading it into RAM and then processing the data takes

20-30 secs.

But if you look at how it is to work with you get a better performance with a Dual Core 2 processor compared to a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz which I had before this. Rotating, updating, section cuts, assembly cuts etc.

So of course you get a better performance working within the program with a better processor but to me its not the bottleneck, since waiting a few secs on an action is much less irritating than sitting and waiting 10 minutes for a assembly or drawing to load.

But to put things in perspective from what I have heard: from Pentium 4 3.0 ghs -> duo core 2 - 2,67 ghz is a ~30% upgrade. where a duo core 2,67 -> duo core xeon 3,0 is a less than 5% upgrade.

so value for money, getting a 2,xx duo core is a good idea.

All these things has to been seen from a perspective working with big assemblies where the complexitivity is low and it is the number of parts and different configurations that needs to be handled.

@Top: I have looked for *"Ship in a bottle" but the links I have found where dead ( and was dated 2003 - 2004) do you have a link for it?

Reply to
Ronni