Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

"FWIW"

#9 = number nine

9# = nine pounds (although we write "lb.")

r9" = radius nine inches

Autocad has a diameter symbol and it follows the numeral and inch tick marks. (Can't show you here)

Autocad also has a degree symbol and that follows the numeral.

Janice

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Janice G
*On* this kind of thing I would say the boss is (always) right.
Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I comlpetely agree with you. It should be Ø14mm, and not 14mmØ, simply because mm are units of something, like pounds, acres, litres or decibels, and should go AFTER the number indicating the size of said unit. The diameter symbol is NOT a unit, it indicates the type of measurement used (Radius, Diameter, Arc, Angle, Profile, etc.) and therefore is more meaningful when placed BEFORE the number. It is also easier to understand with the diameter symbol first and units later rather than units and measurement type after. At least that's how they teach it in mechanical drafting school. Perhaps in architectural drafting school they teach it the other way around ?

However, it is common practice in architecture and civil work to put the diameter symbol at the end. God only knows why they do this, but it only takes a few reads before you get used to it. I suggest you adapt to the methods of your company, not the opposite. Unless you want to nag everyone every time you see a 14mmØ and are ready to have customers call you saying they screwed up an assembly because they misunderstood your dimension. It happenned to me a few years back. Not pretty.

It is fairly well known that engineers don't like architects, and vice-versa. It is not a Universal Truth, but ask around. Both misunderstand and underestimate the implications of the other's work.

Dr Fleau

Reply to
Dr Fleau

Oh. and it's "grammar".

Dr Fleau

Reply to
Dr Fleau

I'm very tempted to single handedly teach the entire architectural and civil engineering community how to do things right.

At least I'll be able to warp my juniors to my will... I mean educate the juniors correctly.

Thanks for the spell checking as well. I saw it, and kicked myself, just after hitting the post message button

Dr Fleau wrote:

Reply to
dancingstags

That's a pretty gross generalization. I love engineers. I would have married one if they weren't all so ugly...

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

"It happenned to me a few years back. Not pretty."

Oh. and it's "happened"

(insert head slap here)

Dr Fleau

"Dr Fleau" a écrit dans le message de news:

7GyOg.10869$cz3.8591@edtnps82...
Reply to
Dr Fleau

Most metric standards have the symbol in front of the value whereas most imperial standards show it after. The reason for this is because it is the convention in some countries to use a slashed zero, so placing the diameter symbol after a value could see it being misread. Even where it is not a convention, some users with place a slash through a zero for clarity and so this can result in values being misread.

The radius symbol is also before for consistency with the diameter symbol.

Reply to
Ian A. White

Hi Ian.

What's the radius symbol?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

R ;-))

Reply to
Ian A. White

Oh. That's a *letter* here in Canada, eh?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

From the Oxford Dictionary:

Symbol:

(among other things)

mark or character taken as a sign of some object or idea or process, e.g.the planet signs, chemical elements-letters, letters of the alphabet.

Sorry, I could not resist :-))

Reply to
Ian A. White

UNCLE!@!