2D CAD

Hi,
Our best wishes for a Happy, Healty and Prosperous New Year.
At your service: the most powerful, user friendly and maintained 2D CAD
system and still being FREEWARE can be downloaded here: http://users.pandora.be/desi-iii
Greetings,
H. Marien
Can it create a DXF or DWG file? Can it import a DXF or DWG file to work with?
-- Bill DeShawn snipped-for-privacy@nospamsterling.net http://my.sterling.net~bdeshawn

Doesn't much matter. They claim "the most powerful, user friendly and maintained 2D CAD" but, apparently, it only runs on dos based systems. Not to useful.

Does not run under Windows 2000. Suggest you try elswhere. Would have suggested choiceCAD, but this is now called AllyCAD and the price is silly.

Hi,
What is wrong with you people, don't believe everything: DOS programs are running fine and very fast under Windows 2000 and XP, but they have to be placed on FAT16/32 disks and they can only access data that is stored on FAT disks, that's the only limitation. They can profit from DOS implementations in Windows 2000 and XP (yes, these systems are supporting a virtual DOS system !)
DESI-III does not support DXF or DWG. Is it of importance ? Only for some people.
Hugo

Hugo Marien wrote:

Some would likely suggest this to be a rather serious limitation, in a networked environment.
In a 'sharing' world you need something in common and in CAD for good or ill it's DXF

CAD
The vast majority of "sharing" done does not have to be. In any case, in 15 years in the industry, I have neve worked for or with anyone that uses Autocad. DXF was never used. As someone else put it on here, you have a rather narrow view.

At the expense of continuing a dull subject, in my general engineering area there seems to be 95% AutoCAD, 5% 'others'. I look at component suppliers web sites and they offer me drawings of their components as DWG or DXF. It may be loathed, but AutoCAD has bums on seats. Why else was the OpenDWG Alliance formed to give access to the DWG file format.
designer wrote:

Hehehe..............as tempting as that is, I'm going to leave it alone. It's an even more boring topic. ;)
I think I am glad I don't know what this is: "OpenDWG Alliance"
No, you should be informed. Go here: http://www.opendwg.org /

Just remember, if you use dwg/dxf "you have a narrow view"!
Michael (LS)

....you've got friends ....all over the world ..thousands and thousands of them ....
No necessarily. There are other qualifications needed.

for what?
Yes, it must be a pretty dull subject. Glad I don't have your job.

area
extract from upfront eZine
"............... One way some CAD vendors boast of their software's popularity is through the number of jobs available. One CEO goes as far as to have an assistant prepare regular reports of the number of jobs available for his CAD package versus competitors.
It's easy to do: just enter the name of a software package into Monster.com's search engine, and then check the number of found items. (Monster.com is the largest job search Web site.) We did a survey last week, entering the names of several CAD software product, and then recording the result. These are the raw numbers:
3126 AutoCAD 319 Pro/E 315 SolidWorks 237 MicroStation 199 CATIA 135 UGS 37 Mechanical Desktop 29 Solid Edge 22 Inventor 19 Architectural Desktop 8 Revit 1 ArchiCAD 0 think3
............."

the
package
week,
Hmmm..... 3126 for AutoCAD versus 1321 (for all others combined). Yep, seems dwg/dxf usage is really damn rare.....
That's 70% of the job postings for AutoCAD (~72% if you also add in ADT & MDT which are Acad based).
Michael (LS)

the
package
week,