Learning to draw in 3 dimensions

Could anyone recommend a book for teaching myself to draw in 3d? I do residential architectural design only and am familiar with the basics of
extruding, etc. What is need is something a little more advanced and specifically tailored to homes. I am currently using AutoCAD 2000. Thanks.
--Karen
Honestly, if you know the basics, why not draw an interior? That's what I did, a bathroom, and it's a bit tougher than modeling an exterior. When you can model a toilet, faucets, pedestal sink, sink stopper, etc, as well as walls, windows, etc., everything else looks easy. (Or, at least, as easy as it gets in Acad.)
The main trick in 3d in acad is UCS manipulation, I find.
Other tips:
use multiple viewports with different points of view, for clarity
learn how to use point filters
break the project into components for ease of modeling, and assemble them
check out my lisp page, there are some time savers there
DIVE IN!
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

clintonG wrote:

If they are your bread and butter I'd suggest you talk to the builders and engineers you exchange drawings with. There are all kinds of little gotchas exchanging drawings that can add up to a bunch of lost time and money simply because people do not communicate with one another. The other and perhaps most significant problem is blind support for a software vendor's product noting most vendors make it easier and more productive to exchange drawings created with their own products.
Since you're working with an older version of AutoCAD that Autoslime will not allow you to upgrade anymore you'll have to buy something all over again. Chief Architect Pro for example has worked out very well for residential design and drafting. You should also evaluate VisonRez which is built on top of AutoCAD. If you decide to buy back into Autodesk you should probably buy into Revit and then add rendering software like 3D Studio Viz.
<%= Clinton Gallagher NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com / MAP http://wikimapia.org/#yC038073&x=-88043838&z &l=0&m=h
I dont think clinton has come even remotely close to answering your question; 20yrs in the cad field hasnt taught him to 'capiche' a question. As for your comment regarding autoslimes 2000, I personally think it will do anything that karen wants it to do. (as for the 'autoslime' remark, I couldnt agree more...... they are only interested in selling selling selling.)

of
you
gotchas
simply
drawings
is
should
Viz.
Karen,
Why don't use SketchUp to draw in 3d then export the views or model into Acad? SketchUp is avaible from Google. There is a free version and a pro version which allows additional plugins.
From use I can tell you SU offer the most value for the money. Even the free version is powerful enough and easy to use from the start. Exporting an elevation into Autocad is a breeze.
regards Steve

do
basics