"nil" echoed in AutoCad 2004

The following lisp routine executes just fine but returns the word 'nil'. Does it mean that there's something wrong somewhere?
(command "layer" "make" (strcat "rev_" (substr (rtos (getvar "cdate") 1 14) 4 12)) "" "" "" "" "")
cmdecho is off (in case that makes any difference)

Are you running that from a button? There's no (defun) etc. In a routine you'd add a (princ) to the end to silence the return value of the last command, which in your case is 'nil'...It's called 'exiting quietly'. Maybe try appending it to your code.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Thanks Michael.
Although the *.lsp file ends with a (princ), while putting the routine together I test the lines by copy/pasting them from notepad into autocad's command prompt - hence the 'nil' , I guess. Thanks for the clearing that up.

Take a penny, leave a penny.