Associative hatching in Xrefs

I have a simple rectangle that I've xref'd into another drawing where I apply some associative hatching.
I go back to the xref and change the shape.
When I open the drawing the xref changes but the hatching doesn't change to fill the new xref shape.
Is there a way to make hatching associative to an xref?
regards
PeterH