Hatching for Patent Drawings - Adding New Types of Hatching

Does anyone know where to get the different hatching patterns that are shown on the United States Patent Offices website for Solidworks? Refer to the very end of the page of this link:

Particularly the foam and plastic are not the same as in Solidworks hatching file and there are none that are even similar so for the mean time I had to manually create the lines and dots to resemble their foam/synthetic material hatching.

I've searched through the site here and another user mentioned that the hatch patterns file (sldwks.ptn) is defined the same way as in Autocad (acad.pat). So if you need a special hatching, an ACAD file might work. However, I havent been able to find any that match what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know where to get the hatching similar to the Patent office website or how to create or combine the patterns?

Josh

Reply to
Josh Hilgart

Good question, I've always had to do hatching for patent drawings manually, especially to indicate planar surfaces since it's more of a highlight required than an actual pattern.

Zander

Josh Hilgart wrote:

Reply to
Zander

you've answered part of this yourself. to create, edit the sldwks.ptn.

here is one for glass (ISO)

*:501:Glass, Lens Glass 45, 0,0, .21875,.0625, .125,-.125,.0625,-.500,.0625,-.125
Reply to
kenneth

Solidwork's hatch patterns work the same as Autodesk's hatch patterns. Line types are also the same except for embedding compiled shape files in the line type definition.

Reply to
Keith Streich

I would think that SolidWorks would want to include a standard set of hatches for patent drafting, and it couldn't be that hard to set up a group for that use, and it would certainly be of great help for people who make patent drawings.

Bo

Keith Streich wrote:

Reply to
Bo

What do the numbers mean? I know where the file is located but how in the world do you go about editing (aside from opening it up it up with notepad) to create your own hatch? It doesn't seem that self explanatory to me but I could be wrong (i.e. the number sequence). I've searched and searched for the AutoCAD files as well but no such luck.

Josh

Reply to
JH Medical Innovations

I believe when you open the file in notepad there are some instructions on how to edit the pattern or create your own. It isn't terribly easy to understand and it would be great if SW created an easy way to develop custom hatch patterns. Save the original SW ptn file just in case. If something happens to this file SW won't even start up.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez