Printing, Solids, Layers

On the drawing i'm working on at the moment, I've decided to do it all in solids for the first time ever rather than 2D - the 3D really gives a
good simulation, finding problems etc. But, when printing with layers turned off, in a hidden viewport, the turned off objects will still occlude objects, but not actually print; half what I want it to do. If the layers are frozen, it's fine, none of the objects print or occlude. Is there a way to stop "off" layers occluding items?
Cheers.
--
If Chewbacca does not make sense, you must acquit!

I'm pretty sure you have to freeze them. Just save your layer states so you can switch back and forth between the two setups.