Video Card advice for Dell Dimension 2400 for ADT 2004

Dear Group,

After much heartache dealing with Dell, I have a Dimension 2400 and a 17" flat screen. Because of all the incredible screw ups, the price turned out extremely low.

I wish to run ADT 2004, Photoshop and maybe one other 3d program on it. I will probably not run them all at the same time, but might be likely to run Photoshop and ADT at the same time. Since I will be doing landscape architecture, I MAY not need tons of 3d, but you never know.

I am told that the integrated circuitry of the 2400 will be inadequate for any significant 3d work and that I will need a video card for PCI. In addition, I will be upgrading memory to 768mb from 256mb.

Dell and ATI carry an ATI Radeon 7500 (64mb) for PCI for $79.00. Does this sound like an adequate card? Are there more powerful cards for PCI?

Below are the specs of my Dell and for ADT 2004 as an FYI.

Thanks much for any guidance.

Michael

My Dell:

Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.20GHz with 400MHz front side bus Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition Memory 256MB Shared DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (Performs at 266MHz for 400FSB systems)

40GB ATA/100 Value Hard Drive Video Card Integrated Intel® 3D Extreme Graphics Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet 17 in E171FP Flat Panel Display

ADT 2004:

System Requirements > * Intel® Pentium® 4 1.4 GHz or better or AMD-K7® 1.4 GHz or better > * Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (SP1 or later), Windows XP Home > Edition (SP1 or later), Windows 2000 (SP3 or later), or Windows NT® 4.0 SP (6a > or later) operating system > * 512 MB RAM > * 650 MB free hard disk space and 75 MB swap space > * 1024x768 VGA video display  > * Windows video display driver  > * Pointing device (mouse or digitizer with Wintab driver)  > * 4X CD-ROM drive  > * Serial port (for digitizers and some plotters)  > * Printer or plotter  > * Modem (connection to Internet) with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later > * Sound card for multimedia learning  > * TCP/IP or IPX support (required only for multiuser or floating license > configurations) > The above requirements are recommended for effective use of Autodesk > Architectural Desktop 2004 software.
Reply to
Michael Meric

in article BC0B3844.1246A1% snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net, Michael Meric at snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote on 12/21/03 11:45 AM:

Reply to
Michael Meric

I too have a DELL dimension 2400 and am using an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI card and it's a cracking card. I do only a bit of 3D work, and I have no trouble with it. I use it mainly for autocad , but I have played a latest game on it and the results were breathtaking . My advice, for what it's worth . . . go for the 128mb cards, the extra memory will be worth it when you do 3D stuff. Go for either ATI or Geforce cards, purely through experience (other people may tell you otherwise) Mine is currently £45 UK, which is only $75 or so!!

hope that helps

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Geforce 5200 128mb card with DDR on board is only 53 bucks shipped from

I just put one in my pc at home.. all I do is 3d & most of my drawings are in the 6 mb range...

Reply to
longshot