50 CRv4

Will this steel make a good european style sword blade?

If you are in Europe, look for Krupp CK55. It is basically a medium carbon spring steel and is one of the best sword steels around. The Del Tin family have been using it for a long time.
A steel that makes a good knife, is not necessarily a steel that makes a good sword.
In the US the best sword steel is 5160, which also happens to be used in a lot of car leaf-springs.
And no, I am not just making this up. I know 3 professional sword makers. 2 of which make their living from nothing but making swords.
5160 brought to the right temper is the best sword steel available, if you actually want it to act like a sword.
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:20:46 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler

Well i do live in Europe, so it is possible to get hold of a piece, but the problem is that the smallest pice the steel supplyers are willing to sell is 6 meters long, and i only need 2 meters. And by the way 50 Crv4 is used by N.S.B to make springs for railvay carriages.
Hken Hveem, Norway
I thought the best steel in the world was made in Sweden and Norway! - GWE