A fast way to demonstrate how a piece is made

This may be "old hat" to some, but----
A guy came over yesterday to get some questions answered. One question
was: How do you make the Miner's Lamp that you showed at the meeting? This project takes a piece of 1/4" X 3/4" stock 10 inches long. By the time you are ready to fold it up, it has gone through some pretty severe shape changes, which weren't all that apparent to the guy. So I just squished a piece of children's modeling clay into the stock shape and went through the process, using the same tools that I would use with hot iron. It took about 5 minutes and got the point across well.
Pete Stanaitis
Gday Pete,
Watch the video of Randy McDaniel's (spelling...) A Blacksmiths Primer, he does a lot of that. Old idea that works great.
Also its a great way to "reverse engineer" an object you have made or want to make. Make it in clay, then reshape the clay to the stock size you want to make it out of, to figure out how much stock you need to start with. If that makes sense.
Regards Rusty_iron
Of course you can also do it by weighing. The rule of thumb I use is: 1"x1"x36" steel weighs 10#

Another good weigh.... :)
Actually I'd forgotten this whole idea. Thanks very much for reminding me. Somewhere in my filling cabinet(probably never to be seen again....) I have a listing from the local supplier that lists weight per length of their standard sizes - I'd guess for shipping costs and transport issues, or maybe they just want to edumcate(sic!) my hick rump.
Kind regards Rusty_iron