Building a heat treating oven

For anyone who may be in the planning stages or just curious here is something I ran across that might be handy. It looks as though it might be scaled-up as well.

dennis in nca

Reply to
dgrup

It would be far cheaper (and a whole lot easier) to buy a second hand pottery kiln and use that. Here in the UK 3 phase ones go for peanuts because people don't realise how easily they can be re-wired to run off single phase. Mine ( and I suspect most) have three banks of heating coils, connected in a 'star' configuration with the 3 phase at the tips of the star. Disconnect the banks and re-connect them in parallel - hey-presto we have a single phase kiln

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

3 Phase (or 415v we we call it here) is available in Australia, and can be cheap to connect... that is if the pole is on your side of the street otherwise it's $5000 to connect :-(

I could make that kiln to run on 240v (standard for Oz) with little effort. 2nd hand kilns cost a small fortune here :-(

It's a neat design.

Regards Charles from Oz

Reply to
Chilla

Snicker - I built that into my shop with a 220V rotary and transformers for UK designed and built surface grinders.

Such is life. A bit expensive, but less risk than changing out 6 motors or re-wiring them and not making a mistake on all 6.

Now I have 220 3-phase and 415V 3-phase and 220 dual hot single phase.

Mart> Andrew Maws>>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Awesome! Thanks for that. I'm in the process of building something similar for tempering long blades that won't fit in my kitchen oven. There is a company called Duralite that has everything you could need for the electrical stuff. They don't tell you just how to go about it but the parts are available there for reasonable prices.

GA

Reply to
Kyle J.