Fiberfrax and soft firebrick supplier (ABQ or internet)?

I'm looking for Fiberfrax (or similar) boards and insulating
firebricks (the soft, lightweight kind) for building a temporary,
reconfigurable forge. I've tried a couple of local brick suppliers and
have been going through some Google hits with no luck so far. Does
anyone know of a supplier for these in Albuquerque, or possibly a
reliable online supplier that will sell small quantities?
Thanks.
Bert
Reply to
Bert
There is, or used to be a large jewelers supply in Albuquerque called Rio Grande Jewelers Supply. They carried all kinds of refractory material for casting & silver soldering. I specifically remember white soldering blocks that were made from Alumina if I recall correctly. Take a walk through the Yellow Pages. Bugs
Reply to
Bugs
Must not be a lot of hot furnaces in NM?
Go here, look around, but the nearest for you is either Texas or Utah, bummer...

Javahut
Howdy!If you can't find that stuff localy,id suggest Darren Ellis,he handles small quanties and his prices seem good to me.I just bought 20lbs of satinite from him .Heres the addy for his website
Hamma Head
I have a full unopened case of soft type refractory brick I was going to use for a heat treat furnace and line a forge with, that I am not going to use now....but I would think shipping would be pretty high on the weight. IIRC there is either 25 or 50 bricks to the box and overall weight is like 50 or so pounds.....
============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder" ~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }
Reply to
Roy
clay art center in washinton has them. they have been reliable inthe past for me. good luck.
Reply to
james pelzer
Have you tried
?
Don't specifically recall seeing firebrick, but they had kiln cement when I shopped there 7 years ago.
Reply to
Steve Ackman
$4 a brick sounds about right now days, I guess.
I paid $2.37 at Phoenix Brick Yard, they also had at least five different types to choose from. The ones I picked were the most insulating but not the highest temp. Mine feel like styrofoam.
OP, do you want them for forging?
My setup's only good enough for heat treating...
The regular fireplace bricks around the bottom were 45c each. :) That sucker's had at least 20 different configurations over the years. :)
Alvin in AZ
Reply to
alvinj
The soft, insulating firebricks are good, but they are rather fragile when at temperature. The heavy-duty ones take longer to come up to heat, but are much more sturdy. You might want to use heavy-duty bricks in the floor of a forge, or any place the bricks might get knocked over...
I'm using stacked bricks for the mouth of my forge. It's easy to hook the end of a piece and pull over the bricks when taking something out of the forge. I've done it a couple of times...
Reply to
jpolaski
I have a bunch of Fiberfrax-----did you get my reply of 10 minutes ago?? it didn't show up in my "sent" file---Jerry
Reply to
jerry wass
dwarf.nntpserver.com!statler.nntpserver.com!newsfeed-west.nntpserver.com!f
It appears that you tried to post a binary. Don't do that.
Reply to
Steve Ackman
Yeah don't do that. If you have a picture you want us to see and don't have a place to show it, start a new thread and we'll talk about it there, ok? :)
Maybe it wasn't a picture, just some sissy-ass fancy colors and fonts? (he might be using his 12 year-old-daughter's computer?;)
Anyway this was un-cross-posted down to a.c.b only.
Alvin in AZ
Reply to
alvinj
dwarf.nntpserver.com!statler.nntpserver.com!newsfeed-west.nntpserver.com!f
Sorry 'bout dat--I thot I was replying to the original poster ONLY--Jerry
Reply to
jerry wass
Do you know what their temperature rating is? How much would you want for them? And where would you be shipping from?
snipped-for-privacy@home.now (Roy) wrote:
Reply to
Bert
I'm currently looking for board, not blanket, but I'll keep you in mind if I ever get around to building a more permanent forge.
Bert
jerry wass wrote:
Reply to
Bert
Their website does show firebrick, but no Fiberfrax board. Their bricks are a little pricier than other online sources, but since there would be no shipping they may end up close to the same. Thanks for the info.
Bert
Reply to
Bert
Thanks to all who responded. In case anyone is interested, here's what I found on the suggested websites:
- couldn't navigate beyond the home page (could be a browser issue)
- no bricks or refractories
- Fiberfrax blanket but no board; no bricks
- Fiberfrax board and blanket, no bricks
- ceramic fiber board and blanket (brand not specified), no bricks
- no bricks or refractories
- bricks, Kaowool board and blanket
- Insboard, Inswool, bricks
Reply to
Bert
how much do you need? a bunch of us recently got together and purchased a palette of 2" vermiculite boards from europe, but that's a lot of board. there isn't any left, but i can get you a contact for the person who set it up.
Reply to
Charles Spitzer
Look also for "boiler liners".
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
I've bought from budgetcastingsupply - still have some at hand and good product.
Perhaps the issue on the
- it uses java to point to the various pages. Must have java enabled.
Have you checked the local fireplace, ceramics, etc supply house in town ? or near by ?
Martin
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn