Fiberfrax and soft firebrick supplier (ABQ or internet)?

I'm looking for Fiberfrax (or similar) boards and insulating firebricks (the soft, lightweight kind) for building a temporary,
reconfigurable forge. I've tried a couple of local brick suppliers and have been going through some Google hits with no luck so far. Does anyone know of a supplier for these in Albuquerque, or possibly a reliable online supplier that will sell small quantities?
Thanks. Bert
There is, or used to be a large jewelers supply in Albuquerque called Rio Grande Jewelers Supply. They carried all kinds of refractory material for casting & silver soldering. I specifically remember white soldering blocks that were made from Alumina if I recall correctly. Take a walk through the Yellow Pages. Bugs

Must not be a lot of hot furnaces in NM?
Go here, look around, but the nearest for you is either Texas or Utah, bummer... http://www.hwr.com /
Howdy!If you can't find that stuff localy,id suggest Darren Ellis,he handles small quanties and his prices seem good to me.I just bought 20lbs of satinite from him .Heres the addy for his website http://Refractory.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com

$4 a brick sounds about right now days, I guess.
I paid $2.37 at Phoenix Brick Yard, they also had at least five different types to choose from. The ones I picked were the most insulating but not the highest temp. Mine feel like styrofoam.
OP, do you want them for forging?
My setup's only good enough for heat treating...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/furnace.jpg
The regular fireplace bricks around the bottom were 45c each. :) That sucker's had at least 20 different configurations over the years. :)
Alvin in AZ
I have a full unopened case of soft type refractory brick I was going to use for a heat treat furnace and line a forge with, that I am not going to use now....but I would think shipping would be pretty high on the weight. IIRC there is either 25 or 50 bricks to the box and overall weight is like 50 or so pounds.....

=============================================Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder" ~~~~ }<((((o> ~~~~~~ }<{{{{o> ~~~~~~~ }<(((((o>
Do you know what their temperature rating is? How much would you want for them? And where would you be shipping from?
snipped-for-privacy@home.now (Roy) wrote:

clay art center in washinton has them. they have been reliable inthe past for me. good luck.

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.crafts.glass.]

Have you tried http://www.nmclay.com/ ?
Don't specifically recall seeing firebrick, but they had kiln cement when I shopped there 7 years ago.

Their website does show firebrick, but no Fiberfrax board. Their bricks are a little pricier than other online sources, but since there would be no shipping they may end up close to the same. Thanks for the info.
Bert
The soft, insulating firebricks are good, but they are rather fragile when at temperature. The heavy-duty ones take longer to come up to heat, but are much more sturdy. You might want to use heavy-duty bricks in the floor of a forge, or any place the bricks might get knocked over...
I'm using stacked bricks for the mouth of my forge. It's easy to hook the end of a piece and pull over the bricks when taking something out of the forge. I've done it a couple of times...
Bert wrote:

I have a bunch of Fiberfrax-----did you get my reply of 10 minutes ago?? it didn't show up in my "sent" file---Jerry
I'm currently looking for board, not blanket, but I'll keep you in mind if I ever get around to building a more permanent forge.
Bert

It appears that you tried to post a binary. Don't do that.

Yeah don't do that. If you have a picture you want us to see and don't have a place to show it, start a new thread and we'll talk about it there, ok? :)
Maybe it wasn't a picture, just some sissy-ass fancy colors and fonts? (he might be using his 12 year-old-daughter's computer?;)
Anyway this was un-cross-posted down to a.c.b only.
Alvin in AZ
Steve Ackman wrote:

Sorry 'bout dat--I thot I was replying to the original poster ONLY--Jerry

Thanks to all who responded. In case anyone is interested, here's what I found on the suggested websites:
http://www.hwr.com/ - couldn't navigate beyond the home page (could be a browser issue)
http://clayartcenter.net/ - no bricks or refractories
http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/ - Fiberfrax blanket but no board; no bricks
http://www.geocities.com/zoellerforge/flare.html - Fiberfrax board and blanket, no bricks
http://www.lametalsmiths.org/news/JayHayes.htm - ceramic fiber board and blanket (brand not specified), no bricks
http://www.riogrande.com - no bricks or refractories
http://www.nmclay.com/ - bricks, Kaowool board and blanket
http://Refractory.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com/ - Insboard, Inswool, bricks

how much do you need? a bunch of us recently got together and purchased a palette of 2" vermiculite boards from europe, but that's a lot of board. there isn't any left, but i can get you a contact for the person who set it up.

Look also for "boiler liners".
LLoyd
Vermiculite board? I've never heard of vermiculite board... Is it some sort of cast refractory w/vermiculite in it? Does it work very well for a forge?
This makes me wonder... has any one here cast their own board? I'd think most people would just use castable to fill whatever forge they have, but maybe you could cast some in a deep cookie pan or something... Maybe add some crushed-up firebrick or vermiculite.
It's just a thought, but maybe you could use the board as a liner over ceramic blanket to keep it from getting eaten up by flux?
Well, it's probably more trouble than it's worth...